Thursday, March 10, 2011

1967 Fashions

Finally got on the treadmill this morning (yes, that treadmill that my mechanically-minded other half put together) and heard Frankie Valli singing “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You.” I love that song. A few years ago, my daughter and son-in-law gave the other half and me tickets to see Jersey Boys, the musical about the Four Seasons. It is a wonderful musical and something worth seeing if you get the chance. After seeing the musical it reminded me how much I loved the Four Seasons so when I got the treadmill I made a Pandora Four Seasons station. Not just Four Seasons music but music from that era, a little doo wop, a bit of Beatles, a little Frank Sinatra. Good to walk to. Well, anyway, back to the song.

The song left me thinking about what I was doing back when that song first came out and the fashions from then.

The song was written in 1967 by Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio and performed by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.  1967 was the year Aretha Franklin was demanding a little respect, Cream was singing The Sunshine of your Love, and the Moody Blues sang Nights in White Satin.  Muscle cars like the GTO (be still my heart!), the Camaro, the Impala, and the Mustang were on the road (gas was cheap).

1967-chevrolet-camaro-z-28-1 67 Chevy Camaro

My folks didn’t drive anything so cool. We had a 66 Chevy Biscayne.

Women wore big hair  (Thanks, Mom)image0-8 My mom, Big hair

 

(unless you were a little bit of a hippy in which case you wore it long and sleek or in a fro), short skirts, and clunky shoes.

Here’s a couple of sewing patterns in GoofingOff.etsy from the swinging 60’s.

il_570xN_192808427

Simplicity 6440 size 18, bust 38

il_570xN_192802102

Simplicity 6354 one size caftan (because ethnic was so groovy).

Well, back to today and my nowadays life. Hope you enjoyed the walk down memory lane with me.

Post by Eileen Patterson of GoofingOff.etsy and GoofingOff.Artfire

No comments:

Post a Comment