Monday, March 14, 2011

1961: Full Skirts, Bouncing on the Bus, and The Lion Sleeps Tonight

Earlier today I listed this gorgeous, hard-to-find pattern in my Etsy shop.

100_8268 McCall’s 6150, size 14, bust 34.

It is McCall’s 6150 from 1961. The dress features a full or slim skirt. Just too cute. Well, that got me thinking about 1961.

I was 7 that year. We lived on the Floyd Bennett Naval Air Station located on the south end of Brooklyn. Our community was made up of Naval and Marine personnel and their families. We even had our own little red schoolhouse, the last one of its kind in the New York City school system. The schoolhouse was a two-room schoolhouse and the children who lived on base would attend kindergarten and first grade there.

At the tender age of 7 I became one of the big kids (I use that term loosely, I was always little) and got to travel to PS 207 on the school bus. I was going places. We would all wait for the bus then pile on and try to sit in the back. The back had this long bench seat big enough for 5 or 6 kids. The fun part was jumping on the seat as we traveled down the road. Our road to school was full of potholes so if you timed it just right you could get some serious air. I even tried it in my dad’s car but he did not appreciate it (don’t make me pull this car over! enough said). We would sing songs, whatever ones came into our heads and act foolish, just foolish enough for the bus driver to yell at us but never enough to get into trouble.

One of the songs I remember singing was “In the Jungle” by the Tokens. It has been done by a few other groups  since then but their version was the best.

The Lion Sleeps Tonight by the Tokens 1961

Every time I hear that song I think of the school bus and Brooklyn.

Post by GoofingOff.etsy and GoofingOff.Artfire

No comments:

Post a Comment