Saturday, March 26, 2011

Congrats to GrannysCranny – Winner of the Blog Feature Interview


Tell us a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff)                                                                                                My name is Charlene..I live in North Florida and am a Gator fan. I live with my husband , 2 horses ,4 cats and 1 puppy named Bella Bleu. I work hard to maintain a home , keep up with 6 ½ acres of Dogwood ,Redbud and oak trees. I also tend to azaleas,camellias,gardenias,forsythias and wisterias to name a few of my plants..We have started to plant our yearly garden and I have pruned the grape vines so I will be VERY busy in the summer canning vegetables and making jelly. I spend a lot of time working with my horses and riding them…They are a lot of work but give back so much more in the joy they bring. I try to find time for my passion which is vintage and antiques of all descriptions ranging from primitive farm items to beautiful and fragile Victorian lace and jewelry.
1800s Jet Bead trim from Mourning Dress ( Floral pattern ) MAGNIFICENT 17 1/2in x 7 1/4in  (Priced reduced )
1800s Jet Bead trim from Mourning Dress
What are your favorite materials?                                               My favorite materials are wood and glass… Although I also love pottery and needlework.
I appreciate many different woods but I LOVE antique oak furniture and have restored many pieces from “basket case” finds back to the wonderful treasures they once were.. I also love glass and have collected a lot of brilliant period cut glass, depression glass and many other types from the 1800’s to the 1950’s. When we retired and moved to this country setting, we built a new home but I filled it with my family heirlooms and antique finds.
What is your favorite color combination?                 Blue has always been my favorite color so I use various shades from pale ice blue to cobalt blue and every shade in between….
What do you like about vintage?                                     EVERYTHING! I grew up with vintage and antiques all around me and loved them even as a child. My mother was more into modern but when I would spend time at my grandmothers I would enjoy all of her antiques…I loved to help her dust them and by the time I was 12 years old I would daydream about where the pieces may have once been and about the families that had owned them previously and what their lives were like… I now have many of her treasures that I grew up loving and treasure like she did. One thing I have learned is I never grow tired of the “ old” things like I do with modern items…..and I never get rid of my vintage/antique pieces. They all have a special story to tell and I enjoy sharing with those that are interested.
Vintage Rosewood & Celadon/Jade Jewelry Box from Shanghai w/lock and key (Lovely)
Vintage Rosewood & Celadon/Jade Jewelry Box from Shanghai w/lock and key
When did you first get involved with vintage?         I first got involved as a child and still collect now that I am a “Senior”
What is your favorite era?             Everything from 1930 and before..
Who is, or was, your greatest inspiration?                                   My paternal grandmother, Laura, who loved antiques and pretty things. She too was a collector and also did lots of needlework and quilting.
What is your favorite thing to do with your creativity?                 I learned at an early age from my grandmother to knit, crochet, embroider and hook rugs. I did a lot of it over the years but not so much now since I spend so much time doing the furniture restoration.
Why should people buy handmade and vintage? Any tips of wisdom on selling handmade and vintage items?                           I think handmade and vintage pieces have better quality and eye appeal than new factory made pieces. They were made to last and made with great pride. That is no longer the case.  Most are unique and one of a kind and just great pieces to use, display and pass down to next generations. As for selling tips…I think they practically sell themselves once seen by people that appreciate the love, work and time that went in to creating them.
Vintage Coty Goldtone Envelope Style Compact 50's - Reduced Price-
Vintage Coty Goldtone Envelope Style Compact 50's
What have been the most valuable lessons learned from others? I learned not to discard things just because they are old or flawed. Most things of quality and beauty are worth the effort it takes to restore them back to their original state or even turn them in to some other use than they were originally designed for.
Apart from creating things, what do you do?                                  I’m always watching Etsy, tag sales ,flea markets and thrift shops for something unique that I “can’t live without”…or a gorgeous piece of furniture that just needs some TLC to restore it back to it’s finest… Then after I have accumulated more things than I have room to keep, I list some in my Etsy shop for others to enjoy.
What are the Web addresses for your work? http://www.etsy.com/shop/GrannysCranny
Thank you, Charlene, for letting me read and share your inspiring interview. Congratulations on winning the votes.

1 comment:

  1. Thank YOU for your time and efforts in posting this fun and intersting blog and for picking one my items to be included in the contest. THANKS also to those that voted for my bookends!
    This was fun and I will keep watching your future blogs!! They add alot to Etsy !!

    ReplyDelete