Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Flip Flops, the Ultimate Apparel for the Foot

Today I am sad. Almost broken hearted really. My favorite pair of shoes, flip flops, are soon to be no more. Sigh. These aren't just any kind of flip flops. They are not the little barely-a-sole kind or hard rubber kind but thick, padded, make-your-feet-go-ah kind with ribbon (grosgrain, of course) between the toes. One of the ribbons broke. I have thought over and over again how to fix these wonderful faves of mine but I think I will have to face the fact that these shoes are soon to be no more. It upsets me so I might wear a black ribbon in their honor.
Silly? I think not. How many women out their have a pair of shoes they absolutely loved and, even after they were long past their prime, couldn't bear to part with them? I'm not even sure where to find another pair like them. I've looked but the new flip flops are too hard, or too cute, or have a heel (WTF?), or are too damned expensive. I just want cushy flip flops with a thick enough sole to keep my feet out of the dirt. Thick enough that when I step on something injurious to my foot I won't get hurt. Is that too much to ask? I think not.

So, what does all this mean? I need a new pair of shoes is what it means if I can find a pair to fit the bill. Or  unless I can find a flip flop repair shop. Good idea for a retirement option but I think it would do better in the Keys or maybe Miami. I live in the woods, probably not a good idea.
New shoes. For many women, my daughter for one, the thought of new shoes is a thrill. Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Dillards are all available with lots of beautiful, gorgeous shoes to excite the little piggies. Not me. I have short, wide feet. And I am a nurse. That means I am used to wearing comfortable shoes ALL the time. No cute little shoes for me. Hell, no. Cute shoes come in a B width and have a heel. My feet are at least a C. And don't even mention a little bit of a heel. I will fall off the shoes. Wide feet and a klutz. Such is my lot in life.
The last time I bought new shoes was to go to a fancy party. My daughter, that young woman whose butt I once powdered, reminded me to make sure not to wear regular stockings with open toed shoes. Hello! I knew that. You would think I never got out of the woods or wore shoes other than flip flops before. I got  so lucky that time finding shoes that fit that I bought 3 pair. They will last me forever. I will be able to sell them in pristine vintage condition since I wear them so infrequently.
So I guess I will have to go shopping for new flips. I will keep y'all posted. If you find some like I am looking for could you leave me a message?
Post by Eileen of GoofingOff.etsy, GoofingOff.artfire, and MissEileen.etsy.

2 comments:

  1. You sound like me. Check online for FloJo's. They have many styles, and the ones I love feel like you are walking on marshmallows! Aaahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I thought was funny was the reactions I got when I told friends what I was writing about. The guys rolled their eyes but the gals all sympathized. One even came up with an idea how to repair them. Flip flop surgery. The stress of putting my faves under the knife was too much for me.

    ReplyDelete