Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Vintage Style Organizing

I seem to live in a state of disorganization. It doesn't seem to matter what I do or how hard I try I am still disorganized. Well, thinking about my state of continuous disorganization led me to start looking for ways to get organinzed. Here's a few ideas I've found on the web and some of my very own.

Steamer Trunk
 A steamer trunk has such character, especially if they have a little bit of age. I found one when I first moved on my own and it became my coffee table for a few years. Mine is long gone but check this one from Freestyle Fashion. The trunk looks good and has added storage. Good stash for a blanket or throw.
I inherited this old treasure. I use it for vintage linens.

Cedar Chests
I sort of collect them. I love them. I love the smell, the look, and the feel of them. Good for old quilts or anything else that needs protecting.
Vintage Suitcases
I love my old suitcases. I use them for blankets, fabrics, just about anything. They have the added benefit of under-the-bed storage. I find them pretty low cost, too, at the Goodwill or Salvation Army.
For real cool-looking vintage suitcases, check out these ideas.

 Check out Ashley Poskin's Vintage Suitcase Coffee Table. It is on Design Sponge's DIY page. Cute little legs give this suitcase a whole new life.

 Don't want to put legs on the suitcase? Stack them up like Abigail did. Click here to check out what she did. Nice, neat, and a great way to show off some beautiful luggage.

Metal File Boxes
I had one of these when I was young. I used it to stash all my special stuff, love letters, little special goodies frm old boyfriends, autograph books, stuff like that. They have an industrial look to them, so cool. Good for stashing skeins of yarn and tall enough for knitting needles, too.
Vintage Metal File Box Industrial
Vintage Train Cases
I love vintage train cases. There is a mystique that goes with them, an aura that surrounds each one. I think of the old movies and chic women carrying their cases as they get on trains or planes. I think of mink stoles, cute hats, and pumps whenever I see one. What a wonderful way to stash anything and everything. Here's a gorgeous Taperlite traincase in caramel.

Vintage Taperlite Traincase Caramel
Vintage Taperlite Train Case
So, how do you stay organized?  I am always looking for new ideas. Got a photo? Share it. I'd love to see it.
The next MissEileen's Top Etsy Pics will be devoted to wedding finds. If you got ideas, let me know. There's some great ones out there.

Post by Eileen Patterson of GoofingOff.etsy.com, GoofingOff.Artfire.com, and MissEileen.etsy.com

1 comment:

  1. I need to be more organized! I usually keep my fabric and yarn in clear bins, but once I start a project, and spread it out all over the place, my room turns into a disaster for weeks at a time.

    ReplyDelete