Friday, April 15, 2011

Etsy Picks Winner 4/1/11 Dawnorama

The Etsy Picks for April 1 yielded 2 winners, LemonLizard and Dawnorama….yup, we had a tie. LemonLizard’s creation was her incredible Bluebird Note Cards and Dawnorama’s creation was the Funky Pin Cushion. Here is Dawnorama’s interview.

funky, felt pincushion Funky Felt Pin Cushion

Tell us a bit about yourself  My name is Dawn Parizek... I live in Des Moines ( Clive) IA... I am a stay at home mom/artist/photographer/new crafter...


What are your favorite materials?   My favorite material, right now, is felt. But that is ever-changing...


What is your favorite color combination?  My favorite color combination, as of now, would have to be... navy blue and a light yellow...

Funky, felt Pincushion  Funky, Felt Pincushion

What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?  The first thing I ever remember making by hand... hmmmm... I remember making an Easter Bunny, with my grandma, out of a dish soap bottle... We made it together, for an Easter decoration... I don't really remember how we did it... or all of the materials we used... just kind of remember sitting with her...


What inspires you? Who is, or was, your greatest inspiration?   The more I think about what inspires me, the more I realize that it truly is my grandma. She died when I was 15... but she was always making stuff... sewing, knitting, crocheting, crafting... I think she was the head of her local Homemaker's of America group... or some such thing. She saved EVERYTHING... and then actually used it for something. I used to think I was verging on pack-rat status... because I would save things, to use for future projects... so I think I inherited her creativity and inventiveness...

feathers - 8x12 Photograph 

Feathers 8x12 Photograph

Where do your ideas come from?  Where do my ideas come from... that's a good question... they kind of just happen...


What is your favorite thing to do with your creativity? My favorite thing to do with my creativity... again, it's ever changing. At this moment, I'm loving sewing pincushions. I was making yo-yos out of felt, and somehow stumbled onto making a pincushion... now it's a borderline obsession for me.


funky, felt pincushion Funky, Felt Pin Cushion

Why should people buy handmade? Any tips of wisdom on selling handmade items?  I think people should buy handmade for many reasons... I think it's nice to know who created and crafted something your purchasing, on an personal level. There's a connection with the crafter that you don't get when you buy from the mass-produced market. Handmade items are one-of -a-kind, which is very satisfying... it's a great feeling to look at something, in your home, and think, " No one else in the world has one exactly like this"... makes you feel special... Handmade is awesome for the environment... buying something that was made with recycled materials... buying something that wasn't manufactured in a big, old factory...
I'm really new to the whole handmade world... so I'm still learning... I would LOVE some tips myself...

What have been the most valuable lessons learned from other artists?  I have quite a few friends that are artists/crafters... Just watching them do what they do has been inspiring to me. My biggest take-away from them would have to be... Get yourself out there. Get on Etsy... get your butt into some craft shows... find some unique shops in your area that would be willing to sell your awesome creations... Facebook your stuff...


Apart from creating things, what do you do?   Aside from creating and crafting, I am a mom to 2 wild and crazy boys... so life is full of volunteering at school... sporting events... doing housework is not my forte', so I'm trying to get better at that... and I am married to the best guy in the world... who coaches our boys... plays drums in an awesome band... and takes care of me like no one else could... among many other things...
What are the Web addresses for your work?  You can find me on Etsy at : www.etsy.com/shop/Dawnorama ...and I am working on a website... www.dawnparizek.com ...


Are you offering my readers any specials?  I'd love to give your readers 10% off any orders... just have them mention your blog ...

Thank you, Dawnorama, for this wonderful interview. Your creations are wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment