Monday, April 18, 2011

Clay Beads and More: An Interview with Beauty and Inspiration in Polymer Clay

Last week’s winner of the blog interview is Penny Stern of Clay Beads and More. Her beautiful barrette and work with polymer clay won the hearts of many. Her story won my admiration. Here’s her inspiring story.
Polymer Clay Flowers  and Butterfly Hair Barrette
Polymer Clay Flowers and Butterfly Hair Barrette
Tell us a bit about yourself
  My name is Penny Stern and I am from Ra'anana, Israel. Originally from London,UK. After marrying I moved to New York, Moscow and the last 13 years, Israel. I am a youthful 45! I have 2 kids - daughter,19 in the army, and son 17. 4 cats. Trained and worked as a dentist in the UK, but with all the moving countries I retired and concentrated on my creative side. Fortunately I have a supportive husband.
I have been enduring/suffering (don't like the word 'battling'!)breast cancer for the last 10 years, which 3.5 years ago spread to my bones. I have been having regular chemotherapy since then. Fortunately it seems to be working and I feel relatively good, but since it has been working the doctor wants to continue indefinitely with the chemo. One side effect is that it has made my fingertips numb, which can be a challenge when making things. But I am so happy that I have my Etsy business, as it gives me a real sense of satisfaction and purpose, knowing that I am creating things that people want, despite my illness. 
What are your favorite materials? Being quite girly I love anything that sparkles. So you will find glitter, faceted semi-precious stones and Swarovski crystal in my work. I also love polymer clay for its beautiful colors and versatility, and quality knitting yarns - especially angora and mohair.
Burgundy Bubbles Bobble Pompom Scarf
Burgundy Bubbles Bobble Pom Pom Scarf
What is your favorite color combination? The colors that I tend to gravitate toward are mostly turquoise and purple - but not together! So I would have to say for combinations it would be something bright like turquoise and coral red, or lime green and fuchsia pink.
Sterling Silver Polymer Clay Flower Bracelet
Sterling Silver Polymer Clay Flower Bracelet
What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?
I was lucky enough to have a very creative mother. She was a textile designer,so we were always making things. I think one of my earliest memories was of us spread out on the dining room table with a whole lot of cereal boxes,toilet roll insides, paint, glue and glitter, building a fantasy turreted princess castle . It was magnificent! My mother definitely nurtured my love of creating.
What inspires you?
I am always inspired by people who achieve greatness, especially if they have overcome great hardship to get there. If they can do it, so can I!
Sea Glass, Pearl and Labradorite Sterling Silver Necklace
Sea Glass Pearl and Labradorite Sterling Silver Necklace
Where do your ideas come from?
Ideas come from everywhere! I have a lot of books and magazines on polymer clay and jewelry. I reread them constantly, and suddenly something that did not inspire previously will give me an idea which will then spark a new piece of jewelry. I also look at what is out there on the internet. I don't really follow trends, as I do not produce my items fast or in great quantity, and the trend might be over by the time I have completed the item! Every year I say that I will produce something relevant to the season, eg Valentine's Day, Mother's Day etc, but this does not seem to happen either!
Who is, or was, your greatest inspiration?
I love to go into South Tel Aviv where all the supply shops are. Just seeing and touching all the gorgeous strings of beads and semi-precious stones gets me wanting to rush home and start making something!
I don't think that I have any one thing or person that inspires me. It is just an urge inside me that wants to create things. To know that perhaps, some of the things that I have made will be around after I have gone. I just love the whole creative process, and also learning new techniques. I have been learning silversmithing for the last 3 years, which has helped me to expand and take my work in a different direction. I also attend the Israeli Polymer Clay Forums workshops regularly. Every 6 months famous artists in the polymer clay world, are invited to come and teach us. We have enjoyed learning from Sarah Shriver, Donna Kato, Dan Cormier, Lynn Ann Schwarzenberg,Julie Picarello, Louise Fischer Cozzi, and Laurie Mika.
What is your favorite thing to do with your creativity?
My favorite thing to do with my creativity is to have something that I have been mulling over in my mind, actually work out when I try to create it. I assure you that this doesn't always happen!
Sterling Silver and Amethyst  Dangle Earrings
Sterling Silver and Amethyst Dangle Earrings
Why should people buy handmade? Any tips of wisdom on selling handmade items?
People should definitely buy handmade! As then you will be getting something that is often completely original, unusual and made with love.
To sell handmade items, you have to be assertive! I show everyone around me what I make, and as a result , I have a loyal group of friends who come to me whenever they need a gift.
Polymer Clay Floral Hamsa
Polymer Clay Floral Hamsa
What have been the most valuable lessons learned from other artists?
I realize that to actually be properly successful at selling online you have to find a niche. I have a friend, Marcia, who opened her etsy shop at the same time as I did and has had thousands of sales! www.marsdesign.etsy.com She only sells polymer clay canes and a little bit of jewelry, but she is the best at what she does.
Since I am not interested in concentrating on producing one type of item, I try to get my name out there by networking with my Facebook Fan Page, Twitter and the Etsy Forums, making sure my listings are Google search friendly and listing or renewing at least 1 item a day.
Apart from creating things, what do you do?
Apart from creating, I enjoy sport and have participated 5 times in the local annual women's Triathlon. I love to travel, read and spend time with my friends and family.
What are the Web addresses for your work?
My web addresses are:
  • Etsy Shop: www.claybeadsandmore.etsy.com
  • Artfire Shop: www.penelope.artfire.com
  • Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/PenelopeStern
  • Twitter: www.twitter.com/PenelopeStern
Are you offering my readers any specials?
I am offering your readers free international shipping on all items when they use the coupon GOOFING1 at checkout.
Thanks very much for this opportunity.
Best wishes,
Penny

2 comments: