Saturday, April 9, 2011

Miss Eileen's Featured Artist: LemonLizard

 The winner of MissEileen's Etsy Picks for 4/1/11 is LemonLizard with her amazing Blue Bird Note Cards. Here is her interview.
Blue Bird note cards by lemon lizard on Etsy
Blue Bird Note Cards

Tell us a bit about yourself

Hi, My name is Dee Dee Ebert and Lemon Lizard is located in Franklin,TN. I have designed my own line of invitations, prints, note cards, and notepads for the last six years. I have had my own website for six years and have had an Etsy shop since 2008.

What are your favorite materials?

I love to work with watercolor and markers. I have dabbled in screenprinting and hope to do more in the future and move my designs to fabric.

What is your favorite color combination?

I love all colors! The more color the better! If I had to pick a favorite combination it would probably be turquoise and navy recently.

Free Range Whimsical Chicken note cards
Free Range Whimsical Chicken Note Cards

What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?

I can remember when I was little painting wooden Christmas decorations with my mom! I just loved painting them and thought they were beautiful!

What inspires you?

Definitely my family! They are always encouraging me to go for it!


Where do your ideas come from?

I love nature and I am always inspired by what I see outside. Old and vintage things also inspire me. I think I was born in the wrong era sometimes! I like to come up with a new twist on a old idea!
Small white fold over Easter Brown Rabbit note cards
Small White Fold Over Easter Brown Rabbit Note Cards


Who is, or was, your greatest inspiration?

My son is my greatest inspiration.  He teaches me new things everyday and always makes me smile!

What is your favorite thing to do with your creativity?

I love to do custom work. I like to try and take someone else's vision and turn it into
something they love.


Why should people buy handmade? Any tips of wisdom on selling handmade items?

I think we have all gotten so high tech these days that it is refreshing to see and buy items that someone actually made with their hands and their time. I like products that are not the same cookie cutter items. As far as selling handmade, I think if you just stick with what you love and not get swayed by what is hot or selling right now you will be successful. Just stay with your vision, dare to be different!

Scuba Girl Invitation
Scuba Girl Invitations

What have been the most valuable lessons learned from other artists?

I have learned so much from kind artists on Etsy. There are so many wonderful people willing to share what they know. The forums are a treasure chest of help. So many people always say be true to your vision. I believe it!

Apart from creating things, what do you do?

I am also a Special Education Teacher's Assistant by day. I learn so much everyday at work! I love to garden and cook!


What are the Web addresses for your work?
My website is http://www.lemonlizard.com/
My Etsy shop is http://www.lemonlizard.etsy.com/
My blog is http://www.lemonlizard.blogspot.com/


Are you offering my readers any specials?
I would love to offer free shipping to your readers, just enter code freeship at checkout or in the message section on Etsy.

1 comment: