Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Pill Box Hat

 

Pill Box Hat

I love going to yard sales. Estate sales are pretty good, too, but I get this eerie feeling, like I am picking over the remains of the dead. I then start feeling ghoulish, then become depressed. Only lasts a few moments, but ewww, even if it is only a few moments. Lucky for me there aren’t too many estate sales in my neck of the woods which either means our population is incredibly healthy, the person died without anything to leave behind, or the family found a home for everything. Hmmm. Anyway, my favorite of all sales are the church yard sales. People just love to donate their “don’t need this anymores” to the church or synagogue. True, sometimes the stuff is out right junk but a lot of the time there is some cool stuff that comes out of the closet or out from under the bed.

Yesterday the hubby and I were road tripping to meet my daughter in Orlando. Fun little see-the-grandkids moment and relax. I am still sore. We must have walked 20 miles through Universal’s parks. My legs, which are starting to look a little better since I got the treadmill, have shin splints. Both legs from the knees to the ankles. I guess that means I have a lot of training to do if I want to do the 3 day Walk for Breast Cancer in the fall. On the way to Orlando we drove through Williston, FL, a cute little town just outside of Ocala and Gainesville. It seemed like everyone was having a yard sale. No, the hubby did not stop. We would have gotten to Orlando after dark. Surprisingly enough, though, he stopped at a church yard sale. Could have knocked me down with a feather.

The yard sale had all kinds of stuff, baked goods, handmade jewelry, and assorted stuff. I was just looking around when I saw one table with lots of junk, the kind of junk that gives me goose bumps, so I started poking around. I found this cool pillbox hat with socks in it. The lady selling it was a little elderly woman who told me it was a very old pillbox hat. When I asked her if she had anymore cool stuff she showed me a bag full of leis and proceeded to tell me how she acquired them. She said she got them at a party. Me, in my smart-ass way, said (quietly, we were on church grounds and she is my elder) “Oh, so you got laid” to which she said with a twinkle in her eye “Yes, twice.” Boy, did I blush. Guess I deserved that. It was pretty funny.

Pillbox hats are so classic, and classy, too. Jackie Kennedy made them very popular in the 60’s.

Here’s a picture of the cream colored pillbox hat. It is now in my shop, MissEileen, on Etsy.

100_8786

The hat looks a lot like a pattern from my stash, McCall’s 6515 from 1962, a smocked hat, with pillbox variations.

100_6500

Are they not wonderful? And with the Royal wedding coming, don’t you just want to wear a hat? Even for a moment? sigh

 

Post by Eileen of GoofingOff.etsy, GoofingOff.Artfire, and MissEileen.etsy

2 comments:

  1. Love the hat you found! That little old lady must have been quite a riot in her day! It sounds like you had fun, despite the Universal experience! We used to hold season passes for Universal, and after a day in the park my feet would kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something tells me she still is a little bit of a riot even though she probably slowed down a little.
    Universal was fun but did we walk! Didn't help that I had new flip flops.

    ReplyDelete