Friday, January 7, 2011

Winking Owl Cookie Jars

Like many others who love vintage I am a collector. I collect cookbooks, compacts, teapots, percolators (the old ones for the cook stove), and now cookie jars. 
I was never truly in love with cookie jars. I love the idea of repurposing so my first cookie jar was a bean pot I bought in a little store in the Ozarks during a trip through Arkansas. It was too small to hold a lot of cookies but it looked quaint and did the job. That cookie jar is long gone and has since been replaced by a big jar found at an estate sale.
I have since learned to appreciate and collect cookie jars. One such cookie jar I appreciate is the Winking Owl.  The Shawnee Winking Owl Cookie Jar is a prized addition in the cookie jar collector’s collection. The Shawnee Pottery Company started operating in 1937 when Americans began to feel hostility toward imported objects. The company hired local potters and increased its production to 100,000 pieces of ceramics per day (that’s a lot of clay). The Winking Owl is among one of the favorites created by the company and is still popular today.
100_7950
Winking Owl Cookie Jar
My new listing in my Etsy shop is the Winking Owl Cookie Jar. It was hand- built in 1980 by a ceramist with the initials DS. It is all over cream color with big brown eyes, one of which is closing in a wink. It isn’t as valuable as the Shawnee Winking Owl but it is still a cutie. Check him out when you get the chance.
Happy collecting! 

Post by Eileen Patterson of GoofingOff.etsy.com and GoofingOff.Artfire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment