Monday, January 24, 2011

New to You: Thrifting in Dixie County, FL

Today is Monday which for me means a trip into town. I know that sounds a bit weird to y’all who live with a post office and a grocery store on every corner. We live in the country so a trip to the closest store is 10 miles, not to mention the post office, bank, and so on. Monday is my day to go shopping. Since it is a “have-to” I try to spice it up with a little bit of fun stuff, namely thrifting.

Cross City, Florida is a small town on Florida’s west coast, only here we don’t call it the west coast, we call the Nature Coast. It is about 150 miles north of St. Petersburg, 50 miles south of Perry, and 50 miles west of Gainesville. In other words, not close to anything. It is a town described as 20 years or more behind the times which is fine with me and most of the inhabitants.  I go often enough to be recognized and one of the crowd, even if I wasn’t born there.

In Cross City are at least 4 thrift shops where you can find anything from clothes to books to real antiques; just takes some looking.

Today I stopped at New to You Consignment on US 19 next to McDonald’s. There is no telling what good things you’ll find in her shop. Kathy, the owner, goes through everything and puts out clothes daily for her sidewalk sale where everything is 25 cents. Inside the shop are deals, clothes, home decor, housewares, you name it. Here’s some of the things I found there:

il_570xN_95752995

Vintage Havilland Limoges Bone China Boudoir Basket

il_570xN_39952748

Vintage Hat Box

il_570xN_78334881

Vintage Kodak Camera.

I’ve even found peach lusterware and McCoy Cookie jars! Besides those finds I harvest bows, buttons, roses, trim, and fabric from the racks whenever possible to provide supplies for my own creations.

Today the pickin’s were a little slimmer than other days but I still found a few things to use. I got a desk organizer (to help me in my never-ending quest to organize my office), some old t-shirts (for dog and cat toys), and some clothes for the fabric (pin cushions and ring pillows?).

Well, that’s all for now. Since I bought the desk organizer I guess I ought to put it to good use and straighten up this messy desk. It will be nice and clean, at least for a day or two.

Hope you enjoyed the chicken chili from yesterday’s post.

Post by Eileen Patterson of GoofingOff.etsy and GoofingOff.Artfire

No comments:

Post a Comment