Thursday, January 27, 2011

1970 Minis, Midis, and Big Hair

 

My mom was a fashionista.  She always had the perfect hair, make-up, nails, and clothes. You’d never know it to look at me. She was happy if I left the house and my clothes matched. Sure, my clothes are still clean but I’m not the kind to have perfect hair (mine has an attitude, a do what it wants attitude) or nails (blame it on the soap and frequent hand washing). Anyway, this is about Mom, her perfect hair, and 1970.

I was looking at some old family photos and found this of my mom. Look at the hair and the mini skirt! Big hair and not a hair out of place.

Copy of image0-8

Well that picture got me looking through my stacks of patterns and I found these from 1970. 

100_8131-1

McCall’s 2357 Misses’ Dress with Princess Front

100_8128

Simplicity 8732 with Empire Waistline

Mini skirts were still the rage, though you could wear a midi and be considered fashionable. Empire waistlines were very “in” especially for young, slim women (you wouldn’t look prego).

100_8149-1

Simplicity 9811 Misses’ Princess Dress with Bell Sleeves

Flirty bell sleeves looked so cool.

That long, straight hair was ironed on an ironing board or rolled on orange juice cans to control the curls. Oh, and we did have pantyhose. No more garter belts and stockings that would fall down. What a relief!

Post by Eileen of GoofingOff.etsy.com and GoofingOff.Artfire.com

1 comment:

  1. This was a few years after my younger sis was sent home from middle or HS because her skirt was more than 1" above her knee -- yes, they actually made girls kneel & measured distance from floor with a ruler. My dad wanted to bring a civil rights suit, but sis didn't want the publicity. I'd have gone for it--could have thrown in religious freedom for forcing someone to kneel, too. Crazy times.

    ReplyDelete