Thursday, January 13, 2011

Baby, It’s Cold Outside

I love old movies. I remember sitting on the couch with my mother watching Crosby and Hope, the Kettles, and the Bowery Boys, just to name a few. Anything made in the ‘60’s was too new for me and I barely tolerated the ‘50’s. I loved the movies of the 1930’s and 40’s; the elegance of the 30’s fashions and the war-time patriotism of the 40’s. The stars were glamorous. The men strong and dashing, the women gorgeous and elegant.

Although I loved the old movies, the musicals were my favorites. I used to watch Fred Astaire over and over and envy every step taken by Ginger Rogers. They made it look so easy that I never dreamed it took practice, lessons, and more practice, not to mention a little talent.

And the music! The songs still stick in my head playing over and over, not like the one you can’t stand and can’t get rid of but more like a good friend whose company you enjoy and love to visit with. Baby, It’s Cold Outside is one of those songs.

Baby, It’s Cold Outside was from the movie “Neptune’s Daughter” starring Esther Williams, Ricardo Montalban, Red Skelton, Betty Garrett, and Keenan Wynn.  The song was composed by Frank Loesser for the movie and performed by Red Skelton and Betty Garrett. It won the Academy Award for Best Song in 1949.

Well, when the temperature dipped into the 20’s (and in Florida, that’s pretty darned cold), the tune crept into my head. A little later, I found the cover of Modern Screen in my collection with Esther Williams.

scans0001

I guess that cover just confirmed it. That song will be playing in my head for a while cause Baby, it’s cold outside! Brrr! lol

post by Eileen Patterson of GoofingOff.Etsy and GoofingOff.Artfire where everyday is a day meant for goofing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment