Monday, January 17, 2011

Spring’s Coming: Passover the Team EtsyChai Way

Ah spring, when a young man’s fancy turns to romance, or something like that. What about us crafters? Our fancy turns to what we are planning to create to make our homes look wonderful after our winter cave-like existence. As soon as the temperature approaches 60 my windows and doors open and the fresh air and sunlight come pouring in. In my Jewish home Passover it means I thinking and planning the Seder, the new tablecloth, what napkins to put out, what pillows to set out. I would think the home getting ready for Easter isn’t much different, except maybe for the pillows. What outfit will look good for church, what to bring to Easter dinner, and so on.

When I hold a Seder I invite friends who always ask what they can bring to the Seder. Since many are not Jewish they often are not familiar with Jewish traditions. Because the foods of the Seder are traditional, I make sure to prepare them. A loaf of bread, artisan or other, is out, and I got the wine. Cheese? Not after meat at the Seder.  What to bring? I bet quite a few people go through the same thing. You don’t want to go empty handed but want a gift that is appropriate, useful, and beautiful.

Well, that line of thought got me to sewing patterns (yeah, I know, it usually does. I am surrounded by them). I found this pattern from 1996, Simplicity 9877, for book carriers, covers, pillows, and wine bottle covers. What a wonderful gift for Passover a bible cover or Haggadah cover would be! A basket cover with maybe some fresh fruit or Passover candy? A cute pillow for the Seder?  GoofingOff even has the Judaic fabrics to make the wine bottle cover or pillow look totally appropriate.

 

100_8237Simplicity 9877

Don’t have the time to sew for Passover  but still want to bring a gift? No problem. Team EtsyChai has talented artists creating the most beautiful artwork and gifts at price points meets everyone’s needs.  Jewelry, glassware, ceramics, cards, everything!

il_570xN_113616095

Mezuzah by TraceyLipman

 il_570xN_122508779

Passover Round Israeli Platter by YafitGlass

il_570xN_174427365

Pewter Judaic Wine Charms by anjalicreations

il_570xN_88803230

Creation Greeting card by AnotherCreation

You can following Team EtsyChai and GoofingOff on Facebook and get the latest on all the happenings. Click here to get to our Facebook pages:            GoofingOff                                      Team EtsyChai

Don’t worry, I got your back. Or, rather, EtsyChai’s got your back. Your host or hostess will be amazed by your insight and knowledge of Jewish tradition.  All it takes is a little help from Team EtsyChai, and a little time for Goofing Off.

Post by GoofingOff of GoofingOff.etsy and GoofingOff.artfire.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, and I love the pic of your grandparents, it's co cool!

    ReplyDelete