Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Vintage Liberty of London Silk Scarves

I was on one of my usual outings checking out the local thrift shops when I found this incredible scarf hanging on one of the racks. Most shops have scarves and most are a bit neglected. This one was. There was something about though. The colors were beautiful, soft greens, pinks, and mauves, and the fabric looked luscious. When I checked the tag I noticed it was silk so I bought it.

 

100_8052

Vintage Liberty of London Silk Scarf

I don’t know much about department stores outside of the US. In fact, I don’t know much about department stores in the US other than a few. I know Macy’s is on 34th Street (I was born in Brooklyn), Lord & Taylor and Neiman Marcus is out of my budget (but I love to look at the catalogs), and Dillard’s is in the nearest mall. When I got it home I started doing some research. The tag on the scarf is a part of the scarf, actually woven into the fabric, not sewn onto it. The tag says “Liberty of London All Silk Made in England.” From there I looked for Liberty of London.

100_8053

What I found was this: Liberty of London was established in 1875 by Arthur Liberty. According to Wikipedia, “Liberty & Company is long-established department store on Regent Street in Central London.” The store on Regent Street still exists and is a leading destination store in England.

The famous Liberty silk scarves and ties are sold all over the world. I am not sure exactly when the one I found was made but it is vintage and gorgeous. No snags, no tears, just gorgeous, the flowers perfect, the colors softly muted. Lovely.

I guess a little bit of glamour just came into my life. Enjoy!

 

 

Post by Eileen Patterson of GoofingOff.etsy.com and GoofingOff.Artfire.com

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful scarf..I too was introduced to Liberty by my thrift finds

    ReplyDelete