Thursday, December 23, 2010

Thrift Shopping Goofing Off Style

Like many others who love vintage, I am addicted to yard sales. Unfortunately most yard sales are a weekend thing and with Christmas falling on Saturday this year (not to mention me having to work) yard saling is out this week. No yard sales means I shop at my honey holes, the consignment and thrift shops around my area. You never know what you’ll find. Some have first edition books, others have great clothes at even greater prices, and still others have fantastic furniture and what-nots.

One of my favorite shops is the Heart of the Hammock Humane Society Thrift Shop on US 19 in Old Town. 

IMG_20101222_120215

The cute little shop is full of some of the best stuff anywhere. I’m never sure what I’ll find. Today, just inside the door, was a beautiful vintage mirror with the holder from a wood dresser. Great to fix up a drab room. Love it!

IMG_20101222_120801

This is a paperweight, a hand-painted by one of the Humane Society’s many supporters.

IMG_20101222_120818

Lots of glassware. Sometimes there are real treasures, beautiful vases of colored glass and crystal hiding on the shelves. Good place to get good glasses at reasonable prices.

IMG_20101222_121110  

IMG_20101222_121227 The dishes are often vintage. I’ve found McCoy, Hull, and real vintage china here.

IMG_20101222_121353

Bobar’s Bags are handmade with a different design on each one by a local artist, Marsha Hardy. They are awesome bags and make fantastic gifts. I should know, I have one.

IMG_20101222_121603And check out this hat!!! A Pink Straw Hat!!! I knew when I saw it I had to have it. It was made by Cappelli Straworld of Miami. It’s wonderful! Now I have to find something to wear it to.

Well there you have it. One of my favorite haunts in Dixie County, Florida. Good place to find vintage items, save a little green, and help out their animal rescue efforts. Say Hi to Pat and Doris when you stop in and tell them you’re Goofing Off!

IMG_20101222_122728

Post written by Eileen Patterson who is forever Goofing Off.

GoofingOff.etsy.com

GoofingOff.artfire.com

No comments:

Post a Comment