Monday, December 27, 2010

Household Searchlight Recipe Book

Cookbooks are special. They spark interest in cooking, eating, and are a favorite of collectors. Every year there are cookbooks written and sold throughout the world. Just when I think every cooking idea has been covered, someone comes up with a different way to make soup, dessert, and entrees. There are special cookbooks and recipes handed down in families that are prized and held dear. That is the way of a cookbook, an unspoken promise to create fabulous food.

I’ve been a cookbook collector for years. I bought the Grand Diplome Cooking Course books back in the 70’s. Under the tutelage of the master chefs of the Grand Diplome I learned to filet a fish, make pie crust, and create a pot roast. I learned the importance and value good knives, how they should feel in the hand, how to sharpen the knife, and how to store a knife so it would last for a lifetime.

My favorite cookbook of all time, and one I refer to often is the Searchlight Recipe Book. My copy was left to me by a friend and I treasure it. The Recipe Book is a wealth of knowledge from Household Magazine of Topeka, Kansas. The book was first published in 1931, copyrighted in 1931, 1937, and again in 1952. My book is from the 1952 copyright. By that time it was in the 23rd edition. It is thumb tabbed with categories that include Canning and Preserving, Fish and Wild Game (a necessity if you are married to a hunter or fisherman…or fish yourself), and Candies. The recipes are practical, easy to follow, and tried-and-true hard-to-find bits of American history from the 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s. Recipes that have almost disappeared from everyday life like mincemeat (not in the jar), squirrel stew, and watermelon pickles are in the Searchlight Recipe Book.  It is a remarkable book.

Imagine my surprise when I found a Searchlight in a thrift shop. It isn’t in the greatest shape but it is still a great book. I’ll be offering it for sale in GoofingOff.Etsy the next few days. I just have to share this book with someone. It is wonderful.

Well, got to get on. Happy collecting to all.

Post written by Eileen Patterson of GoofingOff.etsy.com and GoofingOff.artfire.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment