Monday, December 13, 2010

Cookie Bake Double Chocolate White Chocolate Chip Cookies

The December holidays, Chanukah and Christmas, bring the task of baking. I’ve been baking holiday cookies for years. Some of my daughter’s favorite memories were of baking meringues. I loved the thumbprints even though they seemed to be the messiest in the bunch. One year I baked every cookie in my recipe file only to find some were difficult or didn’t taste as good as they looked by the time I was done. I guess the good thing about age is you filter through the muck and pick out the best. After all this time I found the cookies everyone seems to like the most, at least when I bake, are Double Chocolate White Chocolate Chip.  I use a recipe I found on a cake mix box a long time ago. The cookies are soft and chewy, great for traveling, and surprisingly easy to make.
To make these cookies you’ll need cookie sheets, cookie racks to cool the cookies on, a mixer (a potato masher will work if you mixer is uncooperative), an oven (these are baked cookies, not no-bakes), and the ingredients listed.
Get the cookie sheets ready by spraying lightly with non-stick spray. Extra insurance is always good.
My mixer, a gift from my daughter. Pretty, isn’t it?100_7997
The recipe calls for:
one box of cake mix 100_8002
1 large egg
1/2 cup of butter, softened (margarine works, too) 100_7996
1 bag of chips, white or dark chocolate100_7995
3/4 cup of nuts, pecans and walnuts work well100_7998
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Cream the butter.  Add the egg. Now add the cake mix slowly. Too fast and it will blow all over the place. Don’t ask me how I know this, just take my word for it. Stir in the nuts and the chips.
100_7999
When you are done mixing and stirring, make balls of the cookie dough and flatten on the cookie sheet. How big of a ball? Use a tablespoon and the cookie will be big enough. Place the cookies about 1 inch apart. Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Take out and let them cool before transferring them off the sheet. The cookies will be soft. 100_8000
Transfer the cookies to the rack, let them cool, and pack them up. 100_8001 Don’t worry if the cookies aren’t decorated. Place the cookies on a Holiday plate or in a cute tin and they’ll be fine. Wait until you taste them. They don’t need icing and will become a family favorite.  You can even be crafty and put them in a take out box or make a box out of gift wrap or something to show off your other crafty skills. That’s what I’m going to do.
Have fun baking the cookies.  Enjoy!                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment