Friday, August 19, 2011

An Interview with Alannah's Garden

Claire Cetti of AlannahsGarden01 won our hearts with her colorful flip flops back in the July 1 edition of MissEileen's Etsy picks. Here is her interview. Enjoy!

Flip Flops Women's/Girls White with Red White and Blue Flower
Flip Flops Women's/Girls White with Red White and Blue Flower

Tell us a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff)

My name is Claire Cetti and I live in Santa Barbara, CA. I have been here for twenty years. I am originally from Boston and so fortunate to be a part of both wonderful coasts! I have been married to an amazing man for 15 years and we have 4 children whom I love to be with. I also love pretty much any outdoor activity and reading a great book.



What are your favorite materials?

My favorite materials are cotton fabrics of just about any color and pattern, buttons and beads. When I go into a fabric store, I'm like a kid in a candy store. I just love all the colors!


What is your favorite color combination?
Oh wow, there are so many! I guess it depends on the season. For Summer I love silver and white, for Fall I love turquoise and brown, Winter is black grey and cream and Spring is anything pink and yellow!
Women's Flip Flops  Turquoise Blue and Brown with Turquoise and Brown Fabric Flowers
Women's Flip Flops Turquoise Blue and Brown with Turquoise and Brown Fabric Flowers


What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?

The first thing I remember making that involved sewing was a pillow in the 8th grade in Home Ec. class. Yes, that was a long time ago! It's really where I first learned how to sew.


Red Flip Flops with White Fabric Flower
Red Flip Flops with White Fabric Flower

What inspires you?

Inspiration can come from so many things, and it can be sporadic and random. I may see something while I am out and about, a color combination that somebody is wearing or in nature itself. It gets me going and I start thinking of what a flower would look like in those colors and what I could put it on. My youngest daughter inspires me too. I named Alannah's Garden after her.

Pinky Pink Flower Headband  in Pale Pink or Magenta with beads
Pinky Pink Flower Headband in Pale Pink or Magenta with beads



Where do your ideas come from?

My friends and coworkers give me so many ideas. Seeing people or things around me make me start thinking Oh! A flower would look so pretty on that! There are many ideas I haven't followed through with yet!


Infinity Recycled T-shirt Scarf Mustard Yellow with Removable flower
Infinity Recycled T-shirt Scarf Mustard Yellow with Removable flower

Who is, or was, your greatest inspiration?

My greatest inspiration comes from the people who see my flowers, whether they end up purchasing them or not. Their positive comments and encouragements really keep me going.


What is your favorite thing to do with your creativity?

My favorite thing to do is go to the fabric store and just explore. Mixing and matching colors to see how it looks. Then picking out buttons or beads to see if they would work with the pattern and trying to imagine the final result.



Why should people buy handmade? Any tips of wisdom on selling handmade items?
Handmade is so special. Someone put their heart and soul into their creation. It a unique and thoughtful gift to give to someone or yourself! Now that I am creating and selling things myself, I truly understand the love and care that goes into every item.



Fabric Flower Hair clip with Cream Floral Fabric
Fabric Flower Hair clip with Cream Floral Fabric

What have been the most valuable lessons learned from other artists?

Every artist is proud of their work and loves to share it with others. Encouraging and cheering each other on is such a wonderful thing to be a part of.



Women's White Flip Flops with Fabric Flowers
Women's White Flip Flops with Fabric Flowers

Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I do work outside the home and am fortunate to have the summers off, but my first passion is raising my kids. They are such a blessing. On my own time, going for a run, to a movie, or an a date with my hubby are my favorite!


What are the Web addresses for your work?
http://www.alannahsgarden01.etsy.com/

Alannah's Garden is on FaceBook as well.



Are you offering my readers any specials?
Absolutely! I am offering a 15% discount on any item through Labor Day. Just enter misseileen when completing your order.
Thank you so much for including me in such a fun thing. I have really enjoyed it.

Check out Alannah's Garden. There's still plenty of time for flip flops (for me they are year round wear). The white ones would be great for a beach wedding or maybe a girls' weekend before the special day.

Post by Eileen Patterson



Etsy Shops:

GoofingOff

MissEileen

MetalWoodsnWater


and GoofingOff Artfire



No comments:

Post a Comment