Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mama Jean's Kind Thread: An Interview With Jean Abbott

Urban Farmers Dreams Come True with  this Green and Yellow Chick
Urban Farmers Dreams Come True
 Tell us a bit about yourself : I currently live in Portland Oregon with the love of my life, two dogs, one cat and four chickens. My own three kids have all grown up and flown the coop. We are committed to trying to live life with intent and straight from the heart. Both of us are vegetarians. We recycle everything we can and use bicycles as our main form of transportation. I have a beautiful recumbent trike with a big basket on the back. There is nothing I love more than to fill it up with packages from Mama Jean’s Kind Thread and take them to the post office to ship to customers. I dreamed of starting Mama Jean’s for years. After 20 years in education I took the plunge last August and started working full time at crafting for a living.



Cowgirl Sewphie, the Perfect Gift for Mom
Cowgirl Sewphie

What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?:
I love being creative but sewing is my passion. After all, I’ve been doing it for over 40 years. My mother taught me how to sew back in the day by creating a 4-H club for us when we were young. I was always creating things with bits and pieces of scraps from my mothers sewing piles. She made all my clothes when I was growing up. I loved summer because she would make us 6 sets of tops and shorts to wear during the summer months.


Put A Bird On It ...  oh yea, Portlandia.. Owls in Red Cutest Apron Ever
Put a Bird On It Apron

While we were with the 4 H club we tried all sorts of things along the way from knitting to cooking and I still love to do both, but sewing was, and is, my passion. When everyone else sort of tucked his or her sewing machines away, I just kept on sewing. For most of my life I have created my own clothing and my children’s when they were young. Just for fun I became a costumer working for local theater companies and school productions and was a costumer for over 20 years.


Day of the Dead in Red and Black Sold
Day  Of the Dead in Red and Black


What inspires you?
I think the thing that inspires me the most is color; I love to work in bold bright colors. I love watching them all come together in one of my quilts themed in Day of the Dead or Pirates and Skulls. I call it organic quilting. I love to fussy cut pieces out of the patterned fabrics and start adding color all around them step by step inch by inch and creating quilts. Love this process because I can collect fabrics that I love and then lay them all out on the table and start working with them never really knowing where the end will be but knowing it will be a joy getting there.


Portland Original, Handmade Pendleton Wool Baby Booties
Portland Original Handmade Pendleton Wool Baby Booties

Why should people buy handmade? Any tips of wisdom on selling handmade items?:
I love the question why should people buy handmade. I think my answer has to be, "Why wouldn’t you want to have an original one-of-a-kind verses a cookie cutter item that every other person will own?" I’ve never had the problem of attending an event and seeing my outfit on someone else now have I? I want to fill my home with beautiful handcrafted items that are not only functional but also beautiful. That’s why I love quilting. It’s not only beautiful, it’s purposeful.


Magical Playful Fairies in Blues and Browns for Baby
Magical Playful Fairies in Blues and Browns for Baby

Who is, or was, your greatest inspiration? What have been the most valuable lessons learned from other artists?:
I believe the greatest lesson I ever learned from an artist, creator of beauty, and lover of life, my mother, was to always come at life from your heart. Do what you love, love what you do, and everything will work out. Staying true to what you believe and what you love makes the act of creating such a joy filled with wondrous surprises that you just can’t help but want to keep doing it and trying new things. I always said I want to create things that people will love and want to own and wear and I want to have fun doing it. I want to walk into my studio each day with a smile from the inside out and say yes to my dreams.
XL to 6x Custom Made Short Sleeve Shirts for Men, Casual or Dress
XL to 6X Custom Made Short Sleeve Shirts for Men

What are the Web addresses for your work? Are you offering my readers any specials?:
You can find my items not only on Etsy at www.etsy.com/shop/jeanabbott but also at www.mamajeanskindthreads.com/ I would love to offer your readers free shipping on anything they would like to order or buy from Mama Jeans Kind Threads. They can use code goofingoff1001 at my Etsy Store. This includes custom orders as well. Thanks for giving me this opportunity it’s been a blast getting all my friends involved and excited about helping me out with my business.

Mama Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment