Saturday, May 14, 2011

Featured Blog Interview with Sophia and Celine: Persine

Here’s the interview with Persine, whose adorable 50’s Inspired Romper  won the poll two weeks ago (yes, I am a little behind. I am working on it).

One Piece Playsuit Romper

One Piece Playsuit Romper

Tell us a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff)

My name is Sophia. I live in New York and I sew clothes designed by my sister Celine in Paris. We create dresses based on antique paintings or engravings. Our parents taught us the art of tailoring.

What are your favorite materials?

We like printed cotton fabrics, muslin, voile, embroidered laces, Scottish fabrics, Indian silk...


What is your favorite color combination?

Celine: Turpentine and white.

Sophia: Green and gold.

What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?

Celine: As a child, the first thing I made was a small clothespin box to store my toys.

Sophia: A red velvet brassiere when I was twelve.
Eunomia

Eunomia

What inspires you?
Celine: When I am looking for originality, I find inspiration in the nature, old pictures, books, museum trips, and sometimes street fashion.

Evening Gown

Evening Gown

Where do your ideas come from?

Our love for Jane Austen books, westerns, and movies from the fifties inspired us to create dresses from those specific eras. We design feminine patterns that would still be appropriate for modern times.

Who is, or was, your greatest inspiration?

Our most beautiful dresses are inspired by Louise Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun’s paintings. She was the official portraitist of Marie Antoinette.


What is your favorite thing to do with your creativity?

Share it with the creativity of others.

Tuck Everlasting

Tuck Everlasting

Why should people buy handmade? Any tips of wisdom on selling handmade items?

Most handmade dresses such as ours are also custom-made, and there is nothing like a dress that fits you perfectly.

What have been the most valuable lessons learned from other artists?

Celine: My creations have to represent me. It has to show the best of me, a New Age miscegenation.

Apart from creating things, what do you do?

Empire Gown

Empire Gown

Sophia: I’m a journalist and Celine is in law school. We’ll be in Kenya this summer to film a documentary on climate change.


What are the Web addresses for your work?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/persine

www.persine.com

Are you offering my readers any specials?

We’re offering free domestic shipping for the readers of GoofingOff!

I am awed by their spirit and creativity.

Take a look at their shop and their creations. Their work is lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment