Monday, May 30, 2011

Made in Japan: Maruyama Company

Growing up I heard of many things made in Japan. Although some people didn’t think much of Japanese goods back then, I had an appreciation of them due to a father who spent time in Viet Nam and sent stuff home with the Panasonic or Sony name. I knew about electronics but didn’t think much of ceramics, that is until I went to an auction or two and learned how special the Occupied Japan mark was on an item.

While doing my rounds of my favorite thrifts and junk shops I came upon this exquisite figurine.

Vintage Maruyama  Colonial Lady Porcelain Figurine Occupied Japan

Vintage Maruyama Colonial Lady Porcelain Figurine Occupied Japan

This colonial beauty is marked “Maruyama Made in Occupied Japan.” Of course I grabbed it up. Not only is it a beautiful figurine, it is in amazing condition without chips, cracks, or crazing. The occupation was in the late 40’s making this beauty over 60 years old. I should look so good when I’m 60.

Being the nosy person I am I tried to research the Maruyama Company. I didn’t find much but I did learn that the Maruyama Company was a leading manufacturer of Japanese ceramics until they ceased production in 1989. Japan has a long history of porcelain art dating back to the 1600s.

Beautiful work.

No comments:

Post a Comment