Saturday, June 11, 2011

Vintage Hat Identification: Oh So Lucy and Ricky

I love vintage fashion. I love to watch old movies, not just to hear Fred sing and dance with Ginger, but to look at the old fashions and styles. I love the way Katherine Hepburn worn pants and the gowns that Carole Lombard wore were fantastic. The hats were to die for. Just love them, so imagine my excitement when I snagged a box of vintage ladies hats and gloves. I felt like I hit the lottery. I kind of did, the vintage ladies’ hat lottery. Woo Hoo for me! Now my problem is ID-ing the hats. I want to put them in my MissEileen shop for the world to see, only thing is I am so OCD that I need to know what to call them (other than hat) and how to describe them properly.

Yes, I have my fanatic moments and this is one of them. I know a pillbox, a beret, and a cloche, but I get a little lost after that. I do know when to ask for help so I am asking my readers to please HELP! Here’s the awesome beauties.

100_8790

This is a light blue hat with netting, a big bow, and combs to keep it in place.

100_8791-1

This pink beauty is made of a straw-like material and has sheer pink fabric around it. It is further embellished with teardrop pearls.

100_8793

100_8795-1 Here’s the gloves that came with it. Look like they were worn to a wedding or church function.

100_8803

I think this is a pink raffia with netting…..I think.

 

 

100_8804-1 100_8806

This is sort of a half hat with netting.

100_8808

100_8810

This hat is of the same sort of material as the pink one with ruffles all around.

100_8811

A green velvet headband, sort of.

100_8817 100_8819

The headband type with matching gloves.

I know the next two, just want to show them off a little.

100_8814-1

A black and white pillbox hat in faux fur with black bows and rhinestones.

 

100_8799

Turquoise blue pillbox in felt.

So, what do you think? Anybody know the right names (I am so anal)? They are kind of cute. Just need the right purse and shoes. Sigh. Oh, so Lucy and Ricky.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful hats! Wow, you did hit the jackpot!
    I think my favorites are the pink one with the teardrop pearls and beautiful matching gloves. I also really like the cream hat with the ruffles.

    Wish I could help you out with proper names. My suggestion might be to poke around on eBay or Etsy and research someone who specializes in vintage hats and find some that are similar to yours.

    I've noticed that some sellers of those little vintage frilly feminine 50's & 60's hats that are barely there and don't cover the full head, call them - fascinators. I'm guessing that's not what they were actually called back then - but I may be wrong.

    Good luck!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete