Thursday, June 30, 2011

Trail Blazing in Yarn: An Interview with Blazing Needles

The winner of the June 10, Philadelphia Edition blog interview was Blazing Needles and her amazing Burgundy Ruffled Crochet Scarf. Here is her story:

 

Burgundy Purple Ruffle Crochet Scarf

Burgundy Purple Ruffled Crochet Scarf

Tell us a little bit about yourself

I am officially Barbara Perelman and I live in York PA. My studio is in the basement of my house and I loving call it "The Cave". I am a retired engineer and have been in business full time for 6 (OMG!) years.

What are your favorite materials?

I usually work in acrylic because of the ease of care and the availability of bright colors. I have recently started working in bamboo by request of my customers. It is eco-friendly and so soft.

Cactus-  Yarnius Crochetius                 Cactus Yarnius Crochetius

What is your favorite color combination?

Anything using bright colors.

What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?

Hmmmm - perhaps a knit doll blanket when I was very little.

Personalized Knit Baby Blanket - Hello Name Tag

Personalized Knit Baby Blanket Hello Name Tag

What inspires you?

My customers are my greatest inspiration. My best sellers have come from their ideas! The latest request was a baby blanket that looks like a "Hello" sticker. Turned out great and I added it to the line.

Where do your ideas come from?

I have a white board in my studio. I put down any ideas that pop into my head. When I feel bored I work on one of the ideas. Periodically I weed the ideas out.

Set of 4 Knit Sailing Mugrugs                             Set of 4 Knit Sailing Mug Rugs                  

Who is, or was, your greatest inspiration?

My mom was my greatest inspiration. She was an expert knitter and crocheter and took the time and had the patience to teach me a lifelong skill.

Rosh Hashanah Challah Cover                         Rosh Hashanah Challah Cover

What is your favorite thing to do with your creativity?

My favorite thing is to design new products. I am a machine knitter and it takes a LOT of time to go from concept to product. All my designs are original. I use no patterns.

Personalized Knit Scarf and Beenie  Personalized Knit Scarf and Beenie

Why should people buy handmade? Any tips of wisdom on selling handmade items?

Hand made is unique. Most of my work is personalized. You can't find this in mass produced. I can work with the customer to get the exact thing that they had in mind. There is a little bit of both of us in the final product. Selling? Diversify!!! I sell online at Etsy, have my own website, wholesale to online shops and B&M stores. I also sell bulk to schools - hats and scarves with the school name and colors.

What have been the most valuable lessons learned from other artists?I have learned that we all really care about what we sell. It is a little piece of us going out to the customer.

Personalized Golf Club Covers - Set of 4      Personalized Golf Club Covers Set of 4

Apart from creating things, what do you do?

This is my full time job, but I like to walk, bike, garden, read and spend time with friends.

What are the Web addresses for your work?

www.YORKnits.com www.Blazingneedles.etsy.com www.flickr.com/photos/blazingneedles/

Are you offering my readers any specials?

Sure! I will offer 10% discount to anyone using the code "goofingoff" until September 1, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment