Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Great Pot Holder Challenge

Knowing oneself is a good thing. I think so, at least. I am one of those kind of people who always needs to be challenged. Don’t know why, I just am. I need to have something to work on, to work towards, to change in my world so I don’t get bored with life. The other day I was reading blogs and came across one where the blogger is making pin cushions…..lots of them. Cool idea. Click here to see her blog, the Selvage Blog, and her shop, Karen Griska Quilts. She inspired me! I thought I need to be challenged to keep my skills sharp, my mind working, my sanity in check, but what to do? I didn’t want to make pin cushions, she’s doing that and she does them so well. I looked at my sewing table (really the sewing desk…the one with the UFO’s….and saw the pot holders I was finishing up and thought, there’s my challenge…..Pot Holders! Not your everyday, run of the mill pot holders but scrappy, unusual, different looking pot holders. Not the kind you’d find in Walmart or Dollar General pot holders, but cool pot holders.

OK, I thought of what the challenge would be now I had to have rules….because I have to have rules. That’s me.

Pot holder challenge rules

The pot holder design got to be my own idea. I can be inspired by others but no copying. No patterns unless they are very vintage (pre 1970).

The pot holder has to be scrappy. I like scrappy. Got lots of scraps.

The pot holder has to be useable. I like to cook and so does the hubby.

That’s the rules. Pretty darn simple rules. Here’s my first set of pot holders.

DSC_0383 DSC_0384

 

DSC_0385

I’m not ready to put my pot holders in my shops yet. I need to do a bit more sewing and be happier with the process……however, there’s the first of (hopefully) many pot holders.

Oh, and sorry about the title…a little grandiose.

Post by Eileen Patterson….Miss Eileen aka GoofingOff.

No comments:

Post a Comment