Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Beautiful Soaps from Hawaii: Shaka Soap

Beautiful soaps make a wonderful gift anytime. They look good, smell good, and make a guest feel special. Here’s  Jessica and her shop Shaka Soap, the winner of the 11/11 blog contest.

Handmade Glycerin Soap - MADE IN HAWAII - Fresh Snow Peppermint

Tell us a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff)

Mahalo for even choosing me in your list!
My name is Jessica and I am a stay at home mom of two little girls who are 1 and 3. We live on the Big Island in Hawaii and love every minute of it, even when it is rainy and windy. I recently started making soaps in August of this year and haven't been able to stop! It is a blast to create such a unique and functional product that it is always exciting for me.

What are your favorite materials?

My favorite materials are natural oils and natural colorants. I find that knowing what is going on my body and my family's body, makes me feel great! Especially knowing that I made it as well.

Handmade Glycerin Soap - MADE IN HAWAII - Holiday Dots

What is your favorite color combination?

My favorite color combination is dark tan, ice blue, and ivory white. It reminds me of the sea so that is the color scheme for my company, Shaka Soap, as well.

Natural Hawaiian Lip Butter - Made in Hawaii - Caramel Flavor

What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?

The first thing I remember making by hand was a Valentine for my mom. I was very young, so the details are fuzzy, but I do remember that she said her favorite color was pink, so it must've been pink.

Handmade Glycerin Soap - MADE IN HAWAII - Seashell SwirlWhat inspires you?

Many things inspire me: sunsets, emotions, other people, and items of nature. Lately I have been inspired by the colors of an abalone shell and would love to try to capture that in a soap!

Handmade Soap - Made in Hawaii - Glycerin - Rose and Jasmine Flowers

Where do your ideas come from?

My ideas come from soaping communities I am involved in online and from my family. I am finding that soap is a very versatile medium.

What are your greatest challenges? How do you overcome them?

My greatest challenges are when I have a particular idea in my mind, but I can't quite bring it to fruition. It can be very frustrating, especially being a perfectionist! ;) I overcome them by constantly reminding myself that there is little perfection to handmade items and that is what makes them unique and special.

Who is, or was, your greatest inspiration?

My greatest inspiration is my very supportive husband. He is very helpful with ideas and designs, and is my 'assistant' when I am making a recipe that requires help.

Handmade in Hawaii - Oatmeal Bath Salts - Very Vanilla Cookie

What is your favorite thing to do with your creativity?

My favorite thing to do with my creativity is to express myself artistically. I also am finding that I need to research more deeply so that I may create even further.

Why should people buy handmade? Any tips of wisdom on selling handmade items?

People should buy handmade for many reasons: they know who is making their product, they know what went into the product, they are able to ask questions directly, and they are supporting a community rather than a corporation. I am pretty new at selling handmade items, but one tip I can give is to put your whole passion into what you do. If you aren't passionate about what you create, no one else will be either.

What have been the most valuable lessons learned from other artists?

I have learned from other artists that every experience is a learning one, whether good or bad. Not only is this true when creating a handmade product, but in life as well.

Handmade Glycerin Soap - MADE IN HAWAII - Holiday Snapshots

Apart from creating things, what do you do?

When I am not creating things, I am rounding up my girls or doing laundry! ;)

What are the Web addresses for your work?

My shop can be found at www.etsy.com/shop/shakasoap. I have a blog I update periodically with my new creations www.shakasoap.blogspot.com.

Are you offering any specials for my readers?

I am offering your readers 10% off their purchase at my Etsy store. Use code MISSEILEEN on Etsy to receive it. Mahalo for this interview. I have enjoyed your questions. HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Jessica Taylor
Shaka Soap
"Created Simply"

Have a happy holiday, too, Jessica. Readers, check out her shop and don’t forget to use the code for your discount.

Eileen Patterson of GoofingOff.Etsy (sewing supplies), GoofingOff.Artfire (more sewing supplies) and MissEileen (vintage fun)

2 comments:

  1. That was the best best interview ever ! I really enjoyed it. The soaps are beautiful and the artist is genuine.
    thank you for such a great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your soap Jessica! I have 2 different ones in my shower depending on my mood.

    You guys gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete