Monday, February 28, 2011

The Man with the Mechanical Mind - Yard Saling With the Hubby

I usually thrift and yard sale alone but every so often the hubby is in the pilot seat. It gives me a good chance to scout out the signs and stuff so I don't mind, as long as he stops when I see something good. Kind of scares me though when he makes a u-turn a little too quick. Well, the other day we were heading to the store and saw one of my favorite yard sale ladies. She has the place just across the bridge and there is no telling what she's got out front so I stop whenever I can.
This time I looked through the boxes and didn't see much but a peach lustre ware saucer (Fireking). On one of her tables was a big pot with a separate bottom and an electric cord coming from it. The lady asked "Do you know what this is?" I told her I had no clue. I thought it was an old electric deep fryer (turkey size).  She got this gleam in her eye and told me it was an old portable washing machine from 1946. Said it worked and she had looked it up. Very interesting.
When I got in the car I asked my husband if he knew what that thing was on the table. He had the windows up and the radio on so he didn't hear the conversation. "Yeah, it's a washing machine. The motor is on the bottom" he said. "How did you know that?" I asked. "I saw it" said he and we went down the road.

Darn. The man has this mechanical mind where he can just look at something and figure out how it works, even remember how to put things back together when he takes them apart. Not so for me. Sometimes I think I have a touch of dyslexia when it comes to hands-on application. Where he can look at something and get it the first time the same thing takes me forever, like a gazillion times (ok, maybe 3 or 4) with someone holding my hand.
So anyway, did I get the washing machine? No, I little more than I wanted to spend. She does have cool stuff, though. And I got another peach lustre saucer.

No comments:

Post a Comment