Thursday, February 17, 2011

Edgar Allan Poe

 

I love a good book. I have always enjoyed reading and need to read something, a book, a magazine, a blog, something with words. The best books are so luscious and delicious that each word is savored like a fine wine or a good steak. These books aren’t the quick reads, at least not for me. The books I savor the most are the classics written by Steinbeck, Sir Walter Scott, or Hemingway, to name a few. The books have the ability to carry me away to places I have never been, to see things I only dream about, and to have adventures I can only imagine.

100_8464

The Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe Vintage 1966 edition from Doubleday and Company.

 

Edgar Allan Poe is one of those great writers. He mastered the art of mystery and suspense.  His poetry and stories are so well written that the reader hangs on every word. His works have been described as genius and haunted. He was a true American master of the word.

100_8467-1

I think of Poe, his difficult life (he was an alcoholic who died at the early age of 40 alone), and his wonderful words, every time I see a black bird. “Quote the Raven, Nevermore.”

No comments:

Post a Comment