Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bridal Gowns and Other Fancy Dresses

Today I sold a bridal gown pattern to a young woman new to sewing who asked me a few questions about sewing a gown. I don't sew as much as I used to. Most of the time I would sew my own scrub tops (not the pants, too easy to buy them), tank tops, and skirts but not dresses. I just don't wear them much. Every so often though I would find the need to wear something fancy. After going to the store to see how much the dresses cost I would come home determined to make one myself. Along the way I have learned a few things I think I need to share. 1)Choose your fabrics carefully and according to the suggestions on the pattern. Some fabrics flow and lay better than others according to the cut of the pattern (or visa-versa). 2)Follow your instructions to the letter. I find I do good the first time I make something and not as good the second because I don't follow the instructions as well. My fault. 3) Measure twice, cut once. Applies to wood, glass, metal, and fabric. 4) Double check the layout instructions especially if the fabric is printed on one side or has a finish on one side. If it is cut wrong you won't be able to reverse it. (Don't ask how I found that one out. Had to go back to the store to get more fabric to fix that one. What a mess.) 5) Get help on the final touches like the hem, maybe a tailor or someone with a little experience. If you spend that much time making a beautiful dress, don't skimp on the final touches. They make a big difference. I am so excited for her. I can't wait to see how her dress comes out. I bet she'll look like a fairy tale princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment