Wednesday, March 18, 2015

How to Make Broccoli Salad...A Gluten Free Recipe

I love broccoli....steamed, raw, chopped, in a soup...I love it. That being said, there are times fresh for dipping doesn't work and I want to do more than steam it. One of my favorite ways to fix broccoli is broccoli salad...and it wins raves from family and friends. 
This recipe makes about 1 1/2 - 2 pounds of salad. 

Ingredients: 
1-1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli
1/2 cup of dried cranberries
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar (or 1 packet of stevia) 
bacon bits (about 4 slices worth), optional


I don't use broccoli slaw (I guess one could but I shop at a local flea market so I buy fresh. I see what's in it and chop it myself). 


Wash the broccoli and chop into small pieces (crowns and stems, as long as they are not woody). 
 Prepare the bacon. Add cooled bacon to the chopped broccoli. (Skip the bacon if the salad is to be kosher).

Add about dried cranberries.

Add the almonds.

Put mayonnaise in a separate bowl. Add the sugar or sweetener.

Add the apple cider vinegar to the mayonnaise mixture. 

Pour the mayonnaise dressing mixture over the broccoli salad and mix until everything is coated. Place in the refrigerator. It is best when made ahead and left in the fridge overnight.

This recipe is very forgiving. If you are out of bacon and are fortunate enough to have leftover Chinese Roast Pork, use it. Yummy! The bacon I use is bacon bits (real bacon but already made in a package). They last a long time in the refrigerator and handy. A big time saver and no pans to clean.
If almonds aren't in the pantry and walnuts or pecans are.....go for it.
As for the mayonnaise, whatever the preference. I use the mayo with olive oil but the recipe works well with low fat and fat free, too.

How many calories? No idea. I bring it to work and share so I can't eat too much of it.
It is gluten free for those gluten sensitive folks.
It's kosher, too, if it is made without bacon or the roast pork.

Anyway, it will be a welcome addition to the summer parties ahead.

Enjoy!

Post by Eileen Patterson...who is GoofingOff




No comments:

Post a Comment