Thursday, July 12, 2012

Lyla's Pillowcase Dress

I've been sewing lately, sewing almost anything that can't be welded or nailed down. Just looking for things to sew, ya know? Well, our little granddaughter, Lyla, is coming to visit and that is all the excuse I needed to sew something. I've been eyeing pillowcase dresses for a long time but either wasn't in the mood or I was surrounded by little boys. Now I'm surrounded by little girls. Yippee! Little dresses and handbags! Bring it on, baby.


I found this super cute fabric with super fruit (for real, there are pictures of super fruit on it) at a yard sale. When I first bought it I didn't know what to do with it until the idea of the pillowcase dress came up. The fruit and pictures are perfect for a little girl's dress. I found a pillowcase dress pattern at the "Sew Like My Mom" blog and started cutting fabric.








I used a yard sale dress in her size to give me an idea of the lenth for the total dress and armholes since Lyla wasn't here yet.
 I cut two pieces of fabric 20 inches wide by 22 inches long to allow for hem on the bottom and a casing on the top. 

I sewed the side with a 1/2 inch "hem" that would leave a finished edge for the armholes and a seam that wouldn't ravel....or unravel.




I ironed down 1/4 inch then created a casing by ironing down a 1 inch hem along the top on both pieces of fabric. After the casings were done, I sewed the two pieces together leaving 9 inches from the top on both sides for armholes. 

Then I made a 1 inch hem. I used a semi decorative stitch ( I say semi decorative since I have a pretty basic machine).


After sewing the dress together I realized I didn't have grosgrain ribbon for the shoulder straps so I made my own straps from fabric I cut away.

Here's a picture of the finished dress on the little miss.




Easy peasy and fun to made. Sorry about the chocolate cheek. Grandpa was the culprit.

No comments:

Post a Comment