Monday, July 30, 2012

Homemade Brain Food

It always feels kind of good when you find out something you’ve been doing is really good for you….and you were doing it long before you knew about it, kind of like a 6th sense. Well, for me it’s about nuts. I eats nuts for breakfast (don’t like eggs…..got nothing to do with cholesterol, just don’t like them). I started eating pecans last fall when a friend’s tree dropped more than he needed or wanted and gave the hubby and I a bunch of them. Not just a bunch but a trash can full. I froze them, cooked with them (great pies), and shared them and still had lots so I decided to eat them for breakfast. Turned into my daily routine. Easier to deal with than yogurt (after all, no spoon).

Well recently the hubby and I took a trip to the Jersey Shore to visit family (no, I didn’t see Snooki) but I did find an incredibly good grocery store up there with, of all things, a container marked Brain Food in the health food section. It was full of nuts and seeds so I had to try it. I got a little bit of it before we left Jersey and the nuts behind. Obviously I needed a larger amount of brain food. Being the DIYer type of person, I decided to make my own. Honestly, it’s too easy not to.

Homemade Brain Food

1 jar of dry roasted peanuts

1 jar of honey roasted peanuts

1 8 oz can of cashews

1 4 oz bag of sunflower seeds (hulls removed)

4 oz of toasted soy nuts

Mix all the ingredients together. Add Sea salt to taste. Place in the jars.

Ta Da! Brain Food. The best thing about this recipe is you can personalize it. Is your iron a little low? Add raisins. Got extra walnuts or pecans? Throw them in. Almonds? Hell yes!

Nuts have protein, good fats, and vitamins. They’re good for you. But do be careful because they are not low in calories so ration how much to eat at a time. I have a little container I bought at the store that holds about 1/2 cup, perfect amt for breakfast or an afternoon pick-me-up.

Give it a try. Might help you remember where you left your keys…..again.

No comments:

Post a Comment