Sunday, July 8, 2012

Kitchen Ideas from A Cook's Delight Vintage Cook Book

A Cook's Delight
Future Homemakers of America
Newberry High School
While yard saling I found this awesome cookbook called "A Cook's Delight" from the Future Homemakers of America, Newberry High School, Newberry Florida from 1961. The book has some wonderful old recipes in there but I found these Kitchen Ideas I had to share.

"If a cracked dish is boiled for 45 minutes in sweet milk, the crack will be so welded together that it will hardly be visible, and will be so strong it will stand the same usage as before.

Put a layer of marshmallows in the bottom of a pumpkin pie, then add the filling. You will have a nice topping as the mashmallow will come to the top.

Dip your bananas in lemon juice right after they are peeled. They will not turn dark and the faint flavor of lemon really adds quite a bit. The same may be done with apples.

A leaf of lettuce dropped into the pot absorbs the grease from the top of the soup. Remove the lettuce and throw it away as soon as it has served its purpose.

To prevent splashing when frying meat, sprinkle a little salt into the pan before putting the fat in.

If the juice from your apple pie runs over in the oven, shake some salt on it, which causes the juice to burn to a crisp so it can be removed.

Add a little vinegar to the water when an egg cracks during boiling. It will help seal the egg.

Small amounts of leftover corn may be added to pancake batter for variety.

Use a strawberry huller to peel potatoes which have been boiled in their 'jackets.'

To make bread crumbs, use fine cutter of the food grinder and tie a large paper bag over the spout to prevent flying crumbs."

I can remember my grandmother adding salt to the pan before frying but didn't know what for.  I have to try the pumpkin pie and the lettuce ideas. As for a strawberry huller.....I don't even know what one looks like, much less use one!

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how many of these actually work. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if any of the ideas work. When my grandma used salt in the oil it was to add flavor, not to keep the meat from splashing so I didn't pay attention. I'm curious about the cracked plate.....

    ReplyDelete