Wednesday, May 20, 2015

#Ditch the Plastic....Bags That Is



To say I am obsessed with market bags would be an understatement. I have at least a couple dozen...some I made, others I buy at the store when shopping, still others given to me (you need a bag?). I use them for grocery shopping, thrift shopping, dirty laundry when I am on vacation (TMI?), everything and anything I used to use a plastic bag for. 

What's not to love?  The reusable bags hold more than plastic, are stronger than plastic, and look a heck of a lot better...not to mention the environmental impact plastic bags make. My state hasn't done away with plastic shopping bags yet, but I recently returned from a couple of places that did. No plastic shopping bags...none. Lucky for me I had one in my suitcase....a just-in-case bag.

So, what do I look for in a recyclable bag? For me, sturdy fabric, like canvas, duck, or lined cotton...quilted, is a must,  straps long enough to carry the bag on my shoulder, and a bag that is big enough to carry a load but not too big a load that I can't carry it. A market bag is pretty easy to make and a great way to recycle some fabric lying around.

Here's a few ideas:

Fold-up Tote
Asymmetrical Color Block Tote from Haberdashery Fun

fat Quarter Reusable Grocery Bag by Crystal

Click to Enlarge
French Market Tote with Coco Channel Type Handles from Sew4Home Cute and I love the handles but I'm not sure about carrying lots of groceries in it.


Photo
Fat Sack from Terry Atkinson...so gorgeous in Amy Butler fabric.






No-Sew T-Shirt Tote Bag OK, technically not a market bag but too darn cute to leave out. No sewing experience necessary and great to make for the grandkids.....send them home with goodies in an environmentally safe bag. Make it real special by letting them find a t-shirt to make it with. 

Ta Da....Here's a quickie I put together. This gorgeous fabric was a markdown at the local Dollar General....a table runner. I folded it in half and sewed up the sides. Sewed a hem at the top, too. The straps were strips of fabric from a pair of pants that had seen better days....cut to the length I wanted then folded lengthwise and sewn for extra strength...then attached to the bag. Strong enough to hold more than a few patterns but lovely enough to hold my crochet.

So, with sew many to choose from, is it any wonder I am obsessed? #Ditch the plastic.
Post by Eileen Patterson...who is GoofingOff

No comments:

Post a Comment