Friday, November 7, 2014

Teaching a Child to Love Reading


I love to read. I don't know why or when it started but I always remember have a book handy. I'd read while I was walking, riding, supposed to be sleeping, in school when I was supposed to be studying...all the time. A trip to the library was one of the first things I would do when I moved somewhere. 
Fortunately I passed my love of reading to my daughter, however she had a little trouble passing it to my granddaughter. She called me one day and asked how I sparked her interest in reading. Honestly, it took me a while to think about it then I remembered how special reading was for me and how special I made it for her. I read to her when she was little. Every birthday and holiday was an excuse to give her a book. 
Anyway, it worked for the granddaughter. She might not have the same love affair for books but her reading improved immensely...hmmm...sort of makes me feel wise. 

These books are in the Miss Eileen's Vintage shop. All are from the 1950's to the 1970's. All pre bar code. A great way to start a child appreciating a book, the real kind, of paper and ink. Reading to a child becomes snuggle time. Forty years after reading Snoopy and Charlie Brown books to my daughter I am surprised when she recites the book from memory. Nice legacy.

Follett's Beginning-to-Read Picture Dictionary, 1959

Hooray for Lassie, The Elves and the Shoemaker, Feathered Friends

Teeny, Teeny, Tiny Giraffe, The Gingerbread Man, The Three Wishes

Try Again, Sally!, Spotted Dotted Puppy, and Look! A Parade

Daniel's New Friend, Lancelot, and Jack and the Beanstalk
Post by Eileen Patterson.

No comments:

Post a Comment