Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Pillowcases Challenge 2014 Sewing for Jessica's Joy

Every year I read about sewing challenges and projects. There are so many that my poor easily-distracted brain can't keep up. They all sound worthy and good but for whatever reason I come up with I can't seem to do it.....that is, until now. 
Recently a friend posted a cry for help on Facebook...a sewing cry for help. She runs a ministry called Jessica's Joy. It is a legitimate charity and best of all, it's local. The charity provides food at the Ronald McDonald House in Gainesville, gifts for nursing home patients in Cross City, Fl, and pillowcases for the children at the UF at Shands Oncology unit. When she told me about the pillowcases I knew I finally found the right thing for me...the perfect fit. Something with a needle and thread that I can do at my pace and fit into my crazy schedule.  
I had a pile of holiday fabric I was planning to make scrub tops with but, hey, I'd rather make a pillowcase to comfort someone with, ya know? Much better.
2 yards makes 2 pillowcases plus trim for 3 more. Mix and match. Good to use odds and ends of lace and ribbons, too. 
I love the pink striped fabric! Girly girl stuff. 
So, with a tutorial from the Missouri Star Quilt Company (I love their roll-up pillowcase tutorial), I made a few pillowcases. Eleven to be exact.  Next project will be neck pillows and walker caddies.  
If anyone wants to help, add a comment....or if anyone is doing a challenge or sewing for a cause, give it a shout. It's good stuff.

The frog fabric is too cute. 

Pillowcases from new and old holiday fabric. 


A pile of them!

Post by Eileen Patterson aka GoofingOff

2 comments:

  1. I made pillowcases for all of my staff members this year. I am an elementary school principal and have about 75 employees. A very close friend of mine passed away in June at the age of 55 and had a lot of Christmas fabric so that is what started the project. It made me feel good that I could use her fabric to make so many happy. I still had to buy some fabric but it was super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 75 pillowcases...My hat's off to you! That is incredible. Sorry about your friend. 55....too soon. What a wonderful way to honor your friend's memory.

      Delete