Monday, November 15, 2010

Walking

Sounds like a boring post? Could be, but maybe not. I love to walk, always have.  I have a New Yorker’s love of walking in my bones even though I haven’t lived in Brooklyn for years. I enjoy the fresh air, the exercise, and the feeling I get when I am not in a car. OK, you say, so what? Well, I quit walking a while ago, went from walking at least 2 miles a day to zero. That’s right, zero. I would try to start up again but was easily sidetracked. I could blame my falling off the wagon on the hubby or work but the truth is it was me.

So here’s the deal, I walk every day, rain or shine, hurricane or blizzard, at least 1 mile. Not much I know but when I work that is all I can squeeze in before getting to the hospital. On my days off, that’s a different story. At least 2 miles a day on my days off. I am tired of feeling tired for no good reason, my clothes not fitting right, and my scale crying when I stand on it. Time for a change. Not a presidential change but a real, honest-to-G-d change. Got some new Sketchers Tone-ups (to make my butt look cute again) to start me off right.

When I first told people at work about my plan they thought I was crazy. “What if it rains?” I’ll wear a poncho. “What if it’s cold?” I’ll wear a coat, and walk fast.

The other part of the deal is to blog about the walk each day. Want a different story, go elsewhere. This is mine….and I’m sticking to it.

I usually walk near my home but today I had to go to the store so I walked the Nature Coast Trail in Old Town. It is one of the prettiest parts of Florida’s Rails to Trails. The trail goes over the Suwannee River, over the old train trestle. The whole trail is wooded with wildlife to see and not many homes. Just beautiful. While walking I saw a man and woman on bikes. Made me think of when Dan and I first got together. We had to get bikes so we could ride but that was before arthritis ravaged his body, took away his height (he is 2 inches shorter this year) and left him in pain. Now I ride alone. No fun. I’d rather walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment