Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Mid Week Rummage Find: The Suit He Left Behind

Yes, I said Rummage....as in rummaging through my stuff. Stayed home from work today to go to the doctor and don't want to get too involved in anything so rummaging at home is perfect. Nothing on the stove to burn, nothing on the sewing machine to forget what I was doing....Besides, going through my stacks of sewing books is sort of like going through mama's jewelry box....each clipping stashed in the book has a story to tell. 
What I found......
The year was 1943, the middle of WWII for the US and described by many as the darkest.  The guys overseas had it hard but life at home wasn't easy, either. The waiting and worrying was bad enough but add rationing and shortages to that. Fashions changed to conserve precious materials....like the fabric that might have been a skirt before was now a uniform. This clipping from The Courier-Journal, Louisville, KY, showed how to use a man's suit to make a woman's suit.











































































Our society has since become a throw away society....."don't fix it, buy another" or "don't pass it down." Nowadays the stores are full of fabric and thread and I often forget how hard it must have been in my grandparents' day....and how lucky I am now. 
Anyway, it's a fun read. Hope y'all enjoyed it. 
Post by Eileen Patterson.....who is GoofingOff.





2 comments:

  1. Very enjoyable and interesting read! I love the mix of history and crafts / arts. Thank you, Eileen.
    From Maria :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I was thrilled when I found the paper. I remember hearing my folks talk about food rationing and I knew about how the war affected the fashion/clothing industry but this really opened my eyes.

    ReplyDelete