Friday, August 22, 2014

Don't Forget Your Sunscreen

"Our goal is go home" my patient's wife said. "I'm a nurse. I can handle the care." End of life care in their case.  I often wondered how I would act if confronted with the problem she confronted. She joked a little. Laughed a little. Hugged her hubby a lot.

For him it started with a trip to the hospital for horrible back pain. Cancer wrapped itself around his spinal cord, crushing it and causing paralysis. He'd been battling melanoma and the cancer became metastatic attacking organs until breathing became difficult. Ugh.
I introduced myself and gave hime the call light.
"See this little symbol? Looks like me? Push this for your wonderful nurse, me." Later, when I checked his alertness level I asked him "And who am I?" "My wonderful nurse" he said and we laughed.

We are a nation of sun worshippers. Folks bake in little ovens..tanning salons as they are known...to get that beautiful bronze color. They even pay for the privilege. How often did I bake in the sun getting burnt thinking I looked good (I was young and stupid...now I am older, sometimes stupid, er, not so smart)? No sunscreen. I used baby oil!!??!!

I don't advocate staying indoors and avoiding the sun. I advocate using your brain...and sunscreen. Reduce your risk.
Live long and prosper.....(my Spock-love is showing).

Post by Eileen Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment