Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sewing Tips from an Old Sew n’ Sew

Organizing is a forever project…at least it is for me. I will start off with the best intentions and something, Lord knows what, will catch my eye and I am sidetracked. This time I was sidetracked by a little booklet I found in my sewing stash called “Sew News presents Sewing Room Secrets.” Some of the tips are pretty good, others are…..not as good. I thought I’d share some of the best with the blog world before I put them on one of my pages. Here’s five tips that I think are pretty darn good.

To make a cutting table, use a 32” wide unfinished door and covered it with self-adhesive decorative paper. Place the “table” on 2 filing cabinets. You will have a table long enough for 60 inch wide fabrics and 2 cabinets to organize patterns.

Sewing for a child or grandchild? Cut four 4 inch squares of each fabric used and store them in a plastic bag in your sewing area. Soon you’ll have enough for a memory quilt.

After cutting a garment, save two 6 to 8 inch squares of fabric to test iron-on interfacing, buttonholes, check thread color, or topstitching length.

Keep a checkered vinyl tablecloth under your everyday table covering. When you’re ready to cut fabric, pull back the top tablecloth and you’ll have a gridded surface for cutting.

Serge or zig-zag the raw edges of fabric before preshrinking. It will keep the fabric from raveling and save your washer’s agitator from the abuse of the loosened threads.

Post by Miss Eileen aka GoofingOff MissEileen vintage
Goofingoff Etsy Judaic fabrics, sewing patterns
GoofingOff Artfire Sewing patterns, plus size patterns
Metal Woods N Water unusual stuff and metal work

No comments:

Post a Comment