Friday, August 3, 2012

Eggplant Caviar


Eggplant caviar. You're probably thinking, "what in the world?" I did, too when I first heard the phrase. This is one of my tried and true recipes handed down to me from my grandmother Freida.

Most folks have special memories of their grandparents and I am no exception. I loved being around my grandmother. She was an amazing woman who could knit, sew, and cook anything, at least in my opinion. She was a fiery redhead with green eyes and a thick-as-pea-soup Brooklyn accent (she wasn't known as the Redhead from Carnarsie for nothing). She taught me fabulously useful things things like extending a meal from 4 to 8 servings with appetizers and bread, how to budget, and how to fix seconds from the knitting mill. She also taught me to cook and try some of the most unusual foods I ever imagined. One of these foods is eggplant caviar.

Ingredients:
1 large or 2 medium sized eggplants
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Set the oven to 350 degrees. Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise. Coat the skin side with a small amt of oil. Place on a cookie sheet cut side down. Bake for 30 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven and let cool
Scoop out the eggplant "meat" and place in a bowl. Add the onion and oil. Mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This dish makes a good dip or appetizer. Serve with crackers.

Pretty easy, low fat, low calories depending on how many crackers you eat. Goes with milk or meat dishes. Perfect for the Break the Fast meal after the conclusion of Yom Kippor although I think it's perfect to eat anytime a nosh is in order.
Enjoy!

Post by Miss Eileen aka GoofingOff MissEileen vintage
Goofingoff Etsy Judaic fabrics, sewing patterns
GoofingOff Artfire Sewing patterns, plus size patterns
Metal Woods N Water unusual stuff and metal work

2 comments:

  1. Sounds simple and delicious! I love eggplants :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved being in the kitchen with my gramma, she was an amazing cook. So many fond memories. This recipe sounds delicious and one that I will definitely try!

    ReplyDelete