Monday, May 28, 2012

Dumpster Save of the Day…..World War II Photos

Memorial Day weekend and I’ve been working on curtains (new ones to match my newly painted living room), the garden (weeding and harvesting), and my poodle posse (freshly groomed). I even built a newsletter for the shop (I refuse to say “I wrote it”…I built that darn thing). I’ve been pretty busy and then the hubby came in with an old scrapbook that once belonged to a friend who passed away about 10 years ago. My busy day came to a screeching halt when I saw the book. Seems this scrapbook was destined for the dumpster when our eagle-eyed nephew noticed it and rescued it. Good thing he did, too. Part of the book had clippings from 1946-1960’s of the Gold Star Mothers. Interesting. The rest were incredible photos taken during WWII by our friend who served in the Aleutians and then “somewhere in the Pacific” before the war ended. After the war ended he was stationed in Japan (he gave me a Japanese doll and some fabric from then, treasures). Anyway, here’s some of the photos. 

Flatbed-016

I’m not sure where this picture was taken but he donated a copy of it to our local DAV.

Flatbed-011 Flatbed-013 Flatbed-015This is Warren. I knew him when he was gray haired.

 Flatbed-020 Flatbed-022

Flatbed-023

Thank you, to those who made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. God Bless you all. To those who serve now, thank you and stay safe.

Post by Eileen Patterson

2 comments:

  1. Amazing scrapbook! It just brings home the importance of remembering our past as we step into the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. I didn't know these pictures even existed until my husband brought them home. I feel like he uncovered a treasure. In fact, I know he did.

    ReplyDelete