Saturday, September 9, 2017

Water, Laundry, And Banana Nut Bread: Getting Ready for Hurricane Irma

I've been mentally practicing disaster drills since I first saw the destruction Hurricane Camille left on the Mississippi Gulf Coast back in the 1970's.  Over and over I go through the drill....water, food, keep the freezer full, storm shutters or plywood over the windows, important phone numbers close by, important papers easy to get to. With Irma projected to hit the majority of Florida tomorrow I guess  I will be put to the test.
Latest projected path for Category 4 Irma. The red line goes over my house. 

Whether or not to evacuate is a big decision the hubby and I thought over. The line of cars coming from south Florida goes for miles. The cars creep along the highway at 20 miles an hour.  Gas is in short supply.
Cars on US 19 going north....a back road to the Panhandle and Tallahassee. The line extends more than 20 miles south.

We are staying put. The last place I want to be is in my car when the storm hits.

We live in an area that isn't close to the shore or low lying. Our home is a house, a solid built one (hopefully) that can take long hours of the winds that are predicted. We have pets....three dogs...that are not welcome at the shelters. And, most importantly, the hubby says he's not leaving and I am not leaving without him. Then again, I could knock him out and drag him along....maybe not. It would be quite a task.

Today is last minute prep day. Cleaning and filling the tubs with fresh water for drinking, washing, and flushing toilets. Laundry. Baking my favorite banana bread recipe. Stop laughing. Carbs that taste good will help a bit.

I am more than a little concerned for our friends who live on the coast. Hurricane Hermine (a category 1) swamped the little seaside town of Suwannee. Some friends had 6 feet of standing water in the house while others had their homes moved off their foundations by the storm surge.

I have more than a few hand workable projects to keep me busy and quell the fear I feel inside.

I will post more later. Keep us in your prayers.
Post by Eileen Patterson of GoofingOff Sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment