Thursday, September 7, 2017

GoofingOff's Very First Halloween Pumpkin Challenge


Inspiration comes in the strangest places. Magazines, Pinterest, and Etsy are all good places to find great ideas to inspire but this time a trip to the dollar store got my creative juices going. 




I found this cute foam pumpkin....12 in a pack....8 inches wide by 6 inches tall. I thought Templates! OK, templates. What to make with the pumpkin template.......How about a quilted wall hanging? Why not? A wall hanging would be fun when the grands come over before Halloween.
While walking around I also found bats and thought I could incorporate the bats into the design. 
I decided to leave the pumpkin orange...like a coloring book....and make him (her?) a jack-o'lantern. I used some black scraps for the face....in triangles as if I was cutting a pumpkin. I used a piece of green fabric for the stem. 


I made a few bats in different sizes to give it dimension. After making myself crazy about what color background to use I decided on a white print. I machine zig zagged BOO on another fabric scrap then backed it with black and white stripe. I found a stitch pattern on my machine that looks like bats (at least they look like bats to me) and sewed the sign in place.  The sash and binding were made with spooky eyes on black. The eyes glow in the dark. How cool is that?
I overall machine quilted the quilt. The bats and pumpkin were thread painted with machine embroidery thread. 
Not fancy but still cute enough to bring a smile to the grandkids faces. 

So, here's the challenge. Use the pumpkin. The pumpkins are available at the local Dollar Tree or use the picture and copy it. Make a wall hanging, table runner, pot holder, mask, or anything that you want to do. Any color. Let your creative juices run wild. When you get them done we will post the pictures on the blog and Facebook to show them off. 
The challenge will run until Halloween. 
Have fun!



Post by Eileen Patterson of GoofingOff Sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment