Monday, September 7, 2015

My Mission Trip to Haiti: Part One: The Dream

Ever since I became a nurse I dreamt about going on a medical mission and caring for people in need.
About a month ago, my friend Denise told me about a group of nurses from Maine Medical Center in Bangor, Maine (Denise graduated nursing school with the trip leader)  that were planning a medical mission to Haiti and I thought this was finally my chance. Luckily, they had room for one more, me, so I am going on a medical mission to Haiti in January, 2016.
Am I nervous? A little.
Am I excited? Terribly so.
A million things come to mind….the practical like clean water and good food (I think I will bring my own almonds). Safety (That’s a concern no matter where you go…but I’ll leave my jewelry at home anyway)……The touchy-feely good stuff (the chance to help others). I don’t speak French, just a few words, and even less Creole, but caring and the touch of a human hand is universal.
Next thing is to make the dream come true.
I set up a Go Fund Me page to ask for help with some of the costs involved. The group estimated our costs to be approximately $1200….flights, ground transport, translators, food, and lodging.
I also thought I could have a yard sale or two (yes, I have that much stuff, lots of vintage and antiques) and use the profits from my Miss Eileen’s Vintage Shop on Etsy, too. Maybe bake and sell cookies, spaghetti supper….hmmm, you never know.
Lots to think about….lots to do. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great --- wish I had some $ to send you, but good wishes will have to suffice for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, your good wishes mean so much to me. You don't have to send me anything. Your good wishes are gold.
      Eileen

      Delete