Friday, April 18, 2014

How to Make a Bird Feeder with a Repurposed Plate Tutorial


I love yard sales, sort of. I love to look for treasures under piles of junk and sometimes I do pretty good....then there are other times that I think "you should have stayed home...you have more money than sense." Sound familiar? The other day I stopped at a friend's yard sale and she had a deal for me. A bunch of stuff....Some of it looked good, a lot looked like the first stop was the dump but I bought it anyway. No, she didn't twist my arm....In fact, her yard sales are pretty good with incredible antiques, this stuff was being sold for a friend....Anyway, I bought it. All 4 boxes.


I found this incredible vintage plate among the items. Lovely. Very pretty with Asian styling. See the chip? I didn't at first. I would have kicked myself in the butt but I haven't done yoga in a while and am not as flexible as I once was. 



Made in Japan....Woo Hoo. Then I examined it....a chip on one side. Ugh....What to do with it? Too pretty to throw out. Hmmm......A bird feeder for the front porch! 
I've had plenty of bird feeders over the years but most get chewed up be squirrels or just fall apart from age and the weather. The plate has 2 holes on each side of it....perfect! Into the studio it went (I feel like the professor on Gilligan's Island in there....lots of stuff to make anything with).  I found my fishing line and strung some beads for a little bit of flash. 


Voila! A bird feeder! Hopefully the cardinals and wren we have in this area won't mind the chip.....And one less thing going to the dump.  Now to keep Mr.Ted away from it while the birds are noshing a bit of seed.



Post by Eileen Patterson.....always GoofingOff. 

2 comments:

  1. The plate is lovely. Wonder why it had the holes ? Maybe it had some sort of handle or was part of a stand ? Anyway, for whatever the purpose of the holes, they worked perfectly in your favor - the bird feeder is very unique and your visiting birdies will be dinning in style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why the holes. I think maybe a handle...which I thought of, too but then thought...."you will be at that handle for-ev-er....and a day. Sometimes the path of least resistance is the way to go. I don't know if the birds ate from it yet....hope so.

    ReplyDelete