Friday, April 18, 2014

Make a Dog Bed from an Old Sweatshirt

Fred in "Fred's Bed"

 Not too long ago I went to a festival and saw some adorable dog beds made from old sweaters. Great idea....except I don't have any old sweaters to use for such an endeavor. I do, however, have a bunch of sweatshirts that had seen better days. I was planning to cut them up and make a throw for the couch when I thought "why not a dog bed?" So that's what I did.

First, I sewed across the neck of the sweatshirt. Next, I sewed across the shirt from armhole to armhole, creating a tube. I filled the tube with fiberfill and sewed the cuffs together. The body of the sweatshirt was next. I filled that with fiberfill, too. That made a cushy bed. 
Yes, my sweatshirt is yucky, tacky, and whatever, but it has my scent.....and Fred likes that. I told him it was Fred's Bed and he loved it.....I think....

Cost.....fiberfill about 1/2 of a bag...bag costs about $6 at Walmart.
Old sweatshirt.....$1 if you have to buy it at a thrift shop
thread.
Cheap, easy, and one less thing in the landfill. 

Post by Eileen Patterson....forever GoofingOff.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you but I can't take all the credit...the ladies at the Trenton Methodist Church made the ones at the festival. I just thought of using something that smelled like me...and was going to the bin.

    ReplyDelete