Sunday, January 22, 2012

Post Holiday Sales Slump

Well, it had to happen. The holidays are over and sales slow down. It doesn’t just happen to Macy’s and JC Penny’s, it happens to most businesses after the holiday frenzy. So now the question is, “What do you do?” Since I am among the forever disorganized people of the planet, I always (really, always) plan to organize some part of my life. I usually get one drawer sorted out and I am spent. Pitiful! Should be ashamed of myself. I end up working on other projects, some new, some unfinished, just trying to stay busy.

One of my projects I am finishing up (finally, hooray) is a driftwood mezuzah case. I love driftwood and the rustic look that goes with it. Seemed like a natural. I have sanded, routed, whittled, and drilled and I am finally to the sealing stage. Only 5 or 6 more stages to go. Ugh! The ideas come much faster than the item.

Another project I am working on is with vintage jewelry. Little rose bobbies. Very cute. Very spring and summer.

Sometimes the slump is good. Not much money coming in but the slow down allows me to get things done and look at everything in a new light. Traveling is no fun if you can’t enjoy the journey.

Happy trails, y’all!

Post by Eileen aka GoofingOff

MissEileen vintage

Goofingoff Etsy Judaic fabrics, sewing patterns

GoofingOff Artfire Sewing patterns, plus size patterns

Metal Woods N Water unusual stuff and  metal work

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the slow moments, but you are right about them being helpful. I'm a knitter and most of my work takes a whole lot of time to finish. Every time I catch myself complaining that sales are slow I realize I've got time to really tackle some projects and boost up my store stock. Hopefully things turn for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with you're organisation! I'm looking forward to see how your vintage jewellery will turn out!
    A
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things slowed down for me the 3rd week of January. So I'm putting more effort into blogging, making soaps, and creating some diy tutorials for my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see some of the diy tutorials, Rebecca. Things picked up a little but I have so much I still need to get caught up with. Tiffany, I know what you mean about each project taking lots of time. I find that most crafts take a lot of time, if they are done well. Can't wait to see your finished projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you there 100% on crafts done well taking a lot of time! If only I could squeeze out a couple more hours out of the day.

      Delete