Sunday, January 8, 2012

Creating Traditions




Well, the holidays are over and life starts to normalize, at least for me. The decorations get stashed, work gets back on schedule....you know, normal. This year, though, I did something I hadn't done in years. I had a dinner party. We invited friends and family over and celebrated. Everyone brought something, pies, cake, wine and I cooked, then I cooked some more. We even ran out of chairs. So much fun. I even made these cute little coasters to give out as gifts to everyone and they loved them.
The success of the holiday dinner got me thinking I need to make this a tradition. Now I know there are a lot of folks who have family get-togethers every week. When I was growing up we had them for all occasions. If Grandma wasn't cooking we were going out to eat.
Living far from family makes it hard to keep those traditions. You have to fight to keep them. The success of that one dinner inspired me to have another and it was successful, too.
As the older generation dies off, some of us have to push to keep these all important traditions alive. So here it is. Put down the cell phone. Come to the table and eat there, not in front of the TV. In fact, turn off the TV. Nothing on the tube or on the phone is more important than the family. Use your manners. Remember to say "Thank you" and "Wow, dinner's tastes great" and mean it.
Simple things but very important to do. After a while it will be a habit and soon it will be a tradition.
I'm already planning next year's Chanukkah party.

No comments:

Post a Comment