Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Make Something: Handmade Valentine's Day Cards

I'm one of those folks who knows I need to get a card but hate the idea of buying them.....especially since I know it will be filed in the circular bin and I love to make things that show a bit of me in them (read that I WANT TO MAKE SOMETHING). So, after looking around the 'net a bit I found these cuties to make and give....just in case someone out there in 'netville is a little bit like me. 

From Christie's Cottage  
This card uses fabric flower rolls, markers, and paper. Make the flower rolls or buy them like she did. Check out Christie's blog for the details. 
nancy zieman blog paper piecing
Valentine Fabric Postcard by Nancy Zieman
Here is a paper pieced fabric card by the sewing master  Nancy Zieman. Her blog has FREE instructions to download.  

DIY Hand Stitched Fabric Valentine's Cards from KSH Creative
This is a cute one that should whip up pretty good....for those of us who wait 'til the last minute (I like working under pressure is my excuse). The pinking shears create a non-raveling stitch. A little glue, zig-zag stitches, paper, and fabric (can't forget the fabric) and there ya go. A unique Valentine's Day card that's cute and personalized.

Ta Da! Here's mine.....Love Grows Here. I crocheted the hearts on the plane to Haiti (kept my hands busy) using the pattern from Lucy at Attic24 (click HERE for the pattern. I love her blog). The stems are chains of green scrap yarn. The leaves are from a pattern I made that I am sharing today. The rest is a bit of a mish-mosh and too much glue but I think the hubby will like it anyway. He's sort of mushy that way. Perfectly imperfect, just like me.
  Oh yeah, the Leaf Pattern.
The pattern is written in US terms, the stitches as follows ::
sl st : insert hook, yarn over, pull the loop back through the stitch, then through the loop on your hook.
sc (single crochet) : insert hook, yarn over, pull the loop back through the stitch (two loops on hook), yarn over and pull through both loops on hook.
hdc(half double) : yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull the loop back through the stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over and pull through all three loops on hook.
dc (double crochet) : yarn over , insert hook, yarn over, pull the loop back through the stitch (three loops on hook), yarn over and pull through two loops on hook (two loops left on hook), yarn over and pull through remaining two loops.  

Crochet Leaf Pattern 

Size F crochet hook 
scrap of green yarn approximately 2 feet long 
Chain 6. Sl st in the 1st chain. then 1 sc, 2 hdc, 1 sl st. Do not turn. On the other side of the leaf, 1 sl st, 2 hdc, 1 sc, 1 sl st. 
That's it. Pretty quick and it doesn't use a lot of yarn. The hook size is variable depending on the yarn scraps available. 

BTW, the pattern is available to use how you wish, just give me credit when you do. A little gift from Eileen at GoofingOff. 

Post by Eileen at GoofingOff Sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment